Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

2061 - 2068 of 2068 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Looking at your pics, it almost appears as if the pin is wearing excessively or getting ready to shear.

Have you checked your trailer brakes and their settings? Do you feel the trailer brakes "grab" like the drums might be warped or something? The only other thing I can think of is to check the hitch to see that it is binding itself in the tube and not sitting on the pin. I.E. check to see that there is no gap on the top (IIRC the hitch gets pulled to the top of the receiver to lift the rear of the truck).

What model of WD hitch do you have? I want to look through the instructions. My Blue Ox said to set trailer and truck on level surface, take two measurements: 1 - unloaded hitch height, 2 - loaded hitch height. The difference should be about 1". I had to play with the settings on the chains a couple of times to get it where it needed to be along with keeping proper traction. About 1-1/2" was the magic number for me. Truck sat level, and had good traction. If it got to less than 1", I would loose rear traction on dry ground. Stock tuning on 06 true LBZ.
Two different trucks and two different travel trailers. Same issue. I’ve been trained by General Motors on proper hitch/trailer loading and towing procedures. Hitch and brake settings are dialed. Hitch is a Reese dual cam with 1200 lb bars. Same set up that my RV tech friend has sold and setup for years again without an issue like this. 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
798 Posts
Two different trucks and two different travel trailers. Same issue. I’ve been trained by General Motors on proper hitch/trailer loading and towing procedures. Hitch and brake settings are dialed. Hitch is a Reese dual cam with 1200 lb bars. Same set up that my RV tech friend has sold and setup for years again without an issue like this. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Was not implying that you had it set wrong, just asking questions to see if there might be something that you have not checked. I know sometimes we are so involved that the little things get overlooked.

Have you tried disconnecting the WD when backing up having to make hard turns? Again, trying to see if the issue causing the bent pins can be identified. Would not be surprised if it turns out to be something simple causing the issue.

Reason for wanting to read the instructions is more for my own reference. I ran a BlueOx SwayPro and liked the ease of hookup. I have seen several others out there like the equalizer and am not a fan of the friction bar setup on the bracket for the way you have to connect it. Once I figured out the combination on my setup, I was able to do it in the driveway without lifting the truck with the trailer jack quite easily even though the the setup was not quite straight due to the dip at the hitch.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
That had to have been a serious decel and no trailer brakes..... would be curious to see the articles and or pictures... Haven't seen anything... How long ago?

EDIT saw 2 (in last 4 years and the AUH has been mad 30% stronger) and those trailers were HUGE and alot of weight, sounds like there were other issues...... I'm in an ultra lite and only 28'

·
Registered
798 Posts
Wonder if those failures are due to a damaged tube? One small dent i that tube will increase failure significantly.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Wonder if those failures are due to a damaged tube? One small dent i that tube will increase failure significantly.
I read the one story from the owner and it was on RVnet. He had a 5ver hooked up and made and Emergency stop and it let loose into the back of his F350 dually. The other 2 photos I dont have the back story. As a welding Engineer and someone who has designed and built tube structures, I personally would not use that hitch.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Look at a Pullrite version. All steel, higher GVW rating...Happy with mine :)

·
Registered
798 Posts
As an Engineer, I know the importance of several things associated with the design of the hitch. I agree that pulling with one of those is not high on the list of things I would do.

For elderly or challenged people I can see where the hitch platform is attractive. However, proper inspection of the platform is of the utmost importance.

As you know from welding engineering any defects in the tubes amplifies the stresses in that location. The primary thing I am not a big fan of in the design and fabrication of the hit is the ends. While it may not be a big thing to some, those fixed ends are an issue in themselves. Ideally a slot cut tabbed end while more labor intensive allows for minor flex of the tubing without creating a the moment (potential to bend) as easily. I could see adding a few bracing tubes at mid points along the diagonals to help with the unbraced length of those tubes causing failures.

2061 - 2068 of 2068 Posts