Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

2081 - 2100 of 2117 Posts

·
Administrator
1,037 Posts
I got a new Reese shank from the local trailer supply store. Pins slides in and out with no movement of the shank needed. Even after towing the wife’s camper 150 miles back across the same shit stretch of expressway that bent the last pin. I’m going to call this one fixed. Thanks for all the help and sorry to derail the thread. 🍻

Reactions: TB673

·
Registered
192 Posts
I got a new Reese shank from the local trailer supply store. Pins slides in and out with no movement of the shank needed. Even after towing the wife’s camper 150 miles back across the same shit stretch of expressway that bent the last pin. I’m going to call this one fixed. Thanks for all the help and sorry to derail the thread.
Interesting story and solution. I'd have never thought that as something that should happen....

I'd also have drilled it out 1/16 as a test... But maybe that's just me.

Good job figuring it out. I like it!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
1,037 Posts
Interesting story and solution. I'd have never thought that as something that should happen....

I'd also have drilled it out 1/16 as a test... But maybe that's just me.

Good job figuring it out. I like it!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
I work in vehicle development so the engineering groups that I work with get instead my head (too much sometimes). So, years back, I would have taken to that old shank and “hogged it out” without thinking twice about it. After you see how things are tested for durability/strength and why they are built the way they are, you sort of drop the “torches and duct tape” mentality if not for just in the name of safety alone. 😄 I can’t tell you that it doesn’t come out sometimes because hey, sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. However, when someone’s hack job of fabrication or repair on an engineering development vehicle reers it’s ugly head in the way of oh say a vehicle fire on the side of the road in Death Valley or a blown turbocharger up in the hills around Loveland Pass, you sort of learn that short cuts just may not be worth it, ya know?

Plus I cannot take hardly any of the credit on this one. jlawes2 was a great help and push into getting my head around what was happening too. All after multiple long time trailer “experts” walked away with their hands up and a “Ive never seen that before.” response. 👍🏻

·
Registered
835 Posts
ChevyTech77, Sorry it took me so long to figure it out. Not always are the "experts" truly problem solvers. Some of what people think are the best mechanics are just lucky parts changers. Been pretty fortunate that my dad taught me how to work on stuff the poor mans way by truly finding the problem vs throwing parts at something.

I absolutely hate to give up on a problem. After I really got to thinking about how a hitch platform works, the only thing that could possibly bend the pin would be that the torquing force from the WD hit had to be going into the pin. I would venture to say the pin was probably started bending when you hooked the trailer up and only got worse as you drove. If that's a solid shank then simply removing a little material to make the pin fit properly should not be an issue as you know all of the bending should be carried at the top and bottom of the shank.

On a side note, I am not really a big fan of the way they say to set that hitch up. You measure the front of the vehicle fender??? I like the way the directions said to setup mine. the recommended setting was 1" difference between loaded and unloaded height of the rear of the truck. The suggested using the ball mount as its one of the easiest places to measure.

·
Administrator
1,037 Posts
ChevyTech77, Sorry it took me so long to figure it out. Not always are the "experts" truly problem solvers. Some of what people think are the best mechanics are just lucky parts changers. Been pretty fortunate that my dad taught me how to work on stuff the poor mans way by truly finding the problem vs throwing parts at something.

I absolutely hate to give up on a problem. After I really got to thinking about how a hitch platform works, the only thing that could possibly bend the pin would be that the torquing force from the WD hit had to be going into the pin. I would venture to say the pin was probably started bending when you hooked the trailer up and only got worse as you drove. If that's a solid shank then simply removing a little material to make the pin fit properly should not be an issue as you know all of the bending should be carried at the top and bottom of the shank.

On a side note, I am not really a big fan of the way they say to set that hitch up. You measure the front of the vehicle fender??? I like the way the directions said to setup mine. the recommended setting was 1" difference between loaded and unloaded height of the rear of the truck. The suggested using the ball mount as its one of the easiest places to measure.
I do my best to figure things out as well. I’ve been wrenching professionally for 24 years now but every now and then, I over think stuff. Especially when it’s not in my direct wheelhouse.

I thought about opening it up but just grabbed a new shank. It was on sale anyway.

I set my WD hitches up the way I was taught. Front vehicle ride height should be the same loaded to unloaded. Rear ride height should be 1” lower loaded than unloaded. It’s always worked well for me and when scaled, Ive always been within the 10-15% recommended torque weight.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Geting it ready to take out..

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Beautiful rig! What's the GVW of your trailer?
18K gross. 3250 pin no toys. Trucks bagged and getting dually axle hopefully this winter and Hellwigs instead of springs

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Got the new tires on the truck and new trailer. Got a couple more little trailer projects to finish up...

...such as tidying my wiring rat's nest...

·
Registered
477 Posts
Got the new tires on the truck and new trailer. Got a couple more little trailer projects to finish up...

Holy crap what do you have in there.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts

Nice Solar setup.

Reactions: jdwarren

·
Registered
1,371 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Quite a set up, must do a fair amount of boondocking.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Quite a set up, must do a fair amount of boondocking.
We got the trailer in March just as covid was ramping up, ironically. Spent the past several months doing work/projects on it. She's just about ready for her maiden voyage...can't wait!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Don't put that one in the weeds in SD. I'm out there myself now, at Wall, no snow now.

Reactions: jdwarren

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Don't put that one in the weeds in SD. I'm out there myself now, at Wall, no snow now.
Don't remind me! I've decided to avoid the Dakotas in wintertime. I'd like to get out there to see the Badlands and then continue on to the Pacific northwest before it gets cold, but I'm not sure if my work/Army schedules are going to allow it.

·
Registered
477 Posts
We drove through the Badlands in SD yesterday. They kind of neat to see, we don't do the hiking though.

2081 - 2100 of 2117 Posts