Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

2101 - 2117 of 2117 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
@jdwarren I love how you call that a rat's nest of wires that needs straightened up. Other than my gaming pc at home, I'm about the worst when it comes to wiring and cable management, and I'm thinking how that looks pretty dang good how you have it set up!

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
@jdwarren I love how you call that a rat's nest of wires that needs straightened up. Other than my gaming pc at home, I'm about the worst when it comes to wiring and cable management, and I'm thinking how that looks pretty dang good how you have it set up!
Thanks man. The one thing I still want to tidy up is the solar panel wiring to the disconnect switches (barely visible in the upper right corner of the pic). I haven't quite figured out how I'm going to secure that stuff but it's hardly an emergency, so it may get put off while I worry about more important things.

On another note, despite all the talk I've seen online about Grand Design being of superior quality (compared to Keystone, for example), I have not been impressed with the electrical, structural, or mechanical workmanship I've found on this trailer. Actually had a few things break just sitting here in my yard for the past few months.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Our first camper was a Keystone Cougar 5th wheel from 2000 that we bought in 2017. I was quite pleased with how well it had held up. We replaced it with our current camper which is a 2010 Forest River Sierra TT and I'm also really happy with this rig too. Other than the toilet, currently. It's causing me some headaches that I just don't want to deal with.

·
Administrator
1,037 Posts
Jesus. Some of you guys haul some big shit. People say we “Glamp” with our little 2600RB Imagine but not even close to most of y’all. 🤣🍻

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Jesus. Some of you guys haul some big shit. People say we “Glamp” with our little 2600RB Imagine but not even close to most of y’all. 🤣🍻
Listen bro, my cats demand their amenities, and who am I to deny them?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
JD your rig looks so level, which amazes me knowing how much weight you have in that thing.
Thanks! I think the rear is just a tad low, so I am considering doing something about that. The other benefit it'll have is getting the front landing gear up a bit higher. My driveway has a "hump" and on one occasion it snagged one of my rubber jack pads.

The inverters and batteries are making their money on this trip. We're at our second campsite this week with only 30A service, but the power assist functionality allows us to run everything without really worrying about input current capacity. I set a 30A current limit which is just enough to run both air conditioners during the day and both the heat pump and electric fireplace at night and any additional short-duration loads are supplied from the inverters without any user intervention. With the two ACs/heaters running as well as the Keurig and electric water heating element we are pulling over 5kw; way more than the theoretical 3.6kw you can get from 30A/120V service. The inverters pull from the batteries to bridge the gap and then as soon as the transient loads (Keurig and water heater) switch off the primary inverter uses the excess current capacity to recharge the batteries.

·
Registered
477 Posts
With all the weight keep an eye on the frame where the pin box fastens.

Reactions: jdwarren

·
Registered
192 Posts
Thanks! I think the rear is just a tad low, so I am considering doing something about that. The other benefit it'll have is getting the front landing gear up a bit higher. My driveway has a "hump" and on one occasion it snagged one of my rubber jack pads.

The inverters and batteries are making their money on this trip. We're at our second campsite this week with only 30A service, but the power assist functionality allows us to run everything without really worrying about input current capacity. I set a 30A current limit which is just enough to run both air conditioners during the day and both the heat pump and electric fireplace at night and any additional short-duration loads are supplied from the inverters without any user intervention. With the two ACs/heaters running as well as the Keurig and electric water heating element we are pulling over 5kw; way more than the theoretical 3.6kw you can get from 30A/120V service. The inverters pull from the batteries to bridge the gap and then as soon as the transient loads (Keurig and water heater) switch off the primary inverter uses the excess current capacity to recharge the batteries.
That's way cool. My system is way simpler, but I saw a YouTube where they could set their input amperage. They did 15A, at a friend's house. I don't need it, but I want it anyway.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
That's way cool. My system is way simpler, but I saw a YouTube where they could set their input amperage. They did 15A, at a friend's house. I don't need it, but I want it anyway.

How is your system set up and what kind of camper do you have?

·
Registered
192 Posts
I just have a some large (420ah) 6v batteries, a 2k inverter (with transfer switch and 4-stage battery charger @60a), 600w of solar and a victron solar controller.

I tied 2 circuits into the inverter output. That way, the fridge (had to run a new circuit for it) will go to gas automatically when I unplug, also the AC and water heater won't work when I unplug. No remembering to turn things off...

I run my AC off a 20A circuit plenty of times. We just manually load balance. It works, but not nearly as cool.

Almost forgot. It's in/on a forest River 2306. A 23.5' bunkhouse with no slides and a Murphy bed.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I just have a some large (420ah) 6v batteries, a 2k inverter (with transfer switch and 4-stage battery charger @60a), 600w of solar and a victron solar controller.

I tied 2 circuits into the inverter output. That way, the fridge (had to run a new circuit for it) will go to gas automatically when I unplug, also the AC and water heater won't work when I unplug. No remembering to turn things off...

I run my AC off a 20A circuit plenty of times. We just manually load balance. It works, but not nearly as cool.

Almost forgot. It's in/on a forest River 2306. A 23.5' bunkhouse with no slides and a Murphy bed.
Sounds like it gets the job done. What kind of inverter did you go with? I have a pair of Victron Multiplus 3kva units.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Sounds like it gets the job done. What kind of inverter did you go with? I have a pair of Victron Multiplus 3kva units.
Wow.

Mine is an AIMS. Super "economical" (cheap). I have the remote panel to control it. As mentioned, it works....

I'd love victron stuff. I love good equipment of any type, and that sure seems like good stuff.

Do you have the color touchscreen to adjust where power comes from and show the status of everything? Have you done any threads or videos on the system? Always interested in how it all works together.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Wow.

Mine is an AIMS. Super "economical" (cheap). I have the remote panel to control it. As mentioned, it works....

I'd love victron stuff. I love good equipment of any type, and that sure seems like good stuff.

Do you have the color touchscreen to adjust where power comes from and show the status of everything? Have you done any threads or videos on the system? Always interested in how it all works together.

Yep. Stand by for PM.

2101 - 2117 of 2117 Posts