Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1821 - 1840 of 2019 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Dry camping here at Eagle Creek Campground (we're the only ones here; feels like we have a whole mountain to ourselves) for the night before going on a guided snowmobile tour of Yellowstone all day tomorrow. I think it's about 10 deg F up here and will probably hit single digits tonight. Note that these pics were taken in moonlight only with Google's "starlight" feature on my wife's Pixel 3 XL. Pretty cool functionality.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
A little dirty. But 1600 miles over several passes in winter it is to be expected. This is in Valencia CA.

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Dry camping here at Eagle Creek Campground (we're the only ones here; feels like we have a whole mountain to ourselves) for the night before going on a guided snowmobile tour of Yellowstone all day tomorrow. I think it's about 10 deg F up here and will probably hit single digits tonight. Note that these pics were taken in moonlight only with Google's "starlight" feature on my wife's Pixel 3 XL. Pretty cool functionality.

Looks like we got the truck of the month winner right here.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Anyone have any recommendations (with pics, hopefully) of how they've connected their breakaway safety cables? Pretty much any way I try to connect it makes me worried that it will get snagged on some sort of road debris; to me, that seems like a much greater risk than the truck and trailer actually becoming detached while driving. I'd like to find a way to connect it so that it will pull out the breakaway connector just before the safety chains become taut but without risking the trailer brakes being engaged accidentally.

On that note, does anyone have any experience (second-hand anecdotes included) with a trailer becoming detached due to a mechanical/structural failure (i.e., not operator error like failing to properly couple)? I personally don't, and I'm beginning to wonder if this is just some doomsday hypothetical that someone thought up a while back and it just hasn't died yet.
I-10 Westbound Cedar bayou (just east of Houston). Traveling in the rain and I come up on a white light on the left shoulder where it starts. Pull in behind this trailer and its a guy standing in the rain with just a flashlight and bumper pull horse trailer. He was holding the trailer ball in his hand while his wife was looking for a replacement. Apparently the nut came loose on the ball and fell off. The trailer came unhitched and ended up against the guard rail. He was in the passenger seat sleeping when it happened because they were making a day run to drop off baby alligators. Left about 4 am from El Campo, Texas and went to Maurice, LA where they dropped off the load and headed home. Very fortunate that the trailer did not find its way into another vehicle.

I was pulling a company utility at the time and there were guard rails on both sides of the lanes making them way narrow that night. Rain was off and on and could not see the trailer how I liked in the mirrors so I took the center of the road b/c the guard rails were not straight and curves. Some Mustang driving person could not stand to be stuck behind me for the couple miles (I was driving the speed limit) where I took the center. As soon as the rails cleared and I took the right lane, he floored it and passed me almost like I was sitting still. Less than 2 miles later, same mustang was a yard ornament with the driver walking around it trying to figure it out sitting in the middle median surrounded by wet mud and grass (and probably a couple of inches of water).

This story is second hand from a former co-worker. Trailer came off the ball (undersized ball of truck) of a local and killed another driver. Said owner of the undersized ball tow rig did not even get a ticket for being stupid much less reckless operation. Worst part is he was too lazy to change the ball to the proper size. This was not the first time he lost the same boat trailer. His claim was he could not justify putting the right ball to pull the trailer because his other trailer that he pulled more frequently used the smaller ball.

I was hooking up a 23' car hauler (using it as an enclosed utility trailer) one day and got distracted in the process. I forgot to latch the trailer down. Pulled out the drive way, and stopped at the first light. Put truck in park, got out, latched lock on ball, and got back in. Guy with me asked what was wrong when I got back in. I told him it did not feel right when I stopped. Trailer slid forward on ball. Extremely lucky since I pulled out of the driveway making a left over the roll over curb. Trailer was loaded a bit tongue heavy because of what we were using it for.

Chains are a must on any bumper pull trailer. Right now I do not like the way any of my trailers hook to the back of the L5P since GM changed the receiver. Need to find a good way to hook the chains to the lashing points. I know the lashing points were upgraded with the hitch and its a liability thing to have multiple hook up points as someone will always use the underrated ones and blame the mfg when it goes south.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I dont know what they would be mad about with this set up. My fifth wheel is only 14k and im able to haul 15k plus gross. My 2500 does a awsome job.no worries with that set up at all....lol

·
Registered
378 Posts
I dont know what they would be mad about with this set up. My fifth wheel is only 14k and im able to haul 15k plus gross. My 2500 does a awsome job.no worries with that set up at all....lol
Just some worry warts over there. I got scolded cause I told mentioned that I tow mine 75mph on a nice interstate.:laugh:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Just some worry warts over there. I got scolded cause I told mentioned that I tow mine 75mph on a nice interstate.
I trade fuel for time frequently. Sad reality of a working stiff. My tires are rated for 75, or so they say...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
The day we took delivery of our new 2015 41 foot Traditions by Mobile Suites. I bought the truck in California in 2012 it had 22,126 mile on then. It's was brought home and deleted of all the nasty stuff.... It now has 53,867 on it and we are getting ready to retire and see how the other people live.....

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
2018 truck, 2018 5th wheel. Life just happened to throw us a bone so we went with it. Came from an LBZ and a 33' bumper-pull.
I have the same 5W, it has been a great unit, enjoy!

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
The day we took delivery of our new 2015 41 foot Traditions by Mobile Suites. I bought the truck in California in 2012 it had 22,126 mile on then. It's was brought home and deleted of all the nasty stuff.... It now has 53,867 on it and we are getting ready to retire and see how the other people live.....
Damn nice camper. :neener

1821 - 1840 of 2019 Posts