Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am acquiring my dad's 07.5 GMC and would like to know if I the harness is there to install the factory brake control or if anyone has ever done this? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,931 Posts
you have to look under your dash closest to the driver door and see if you have it already wired in. If not I would suggest going to a camper dealer, trailer dealer, good parts store and getting the wiring harness that just plugs right in to the connector under the dash. they come in different lengths so that you can mount it and run it to your liking.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Guys did you not read even his question? Hes asking if he can add FACTORY brake controller on.

To answer the question. Yes. You'll have to add the switch, a new master-cylinder, and an extra wiring harness, as well as get a few of the modules reflashed. HeyMCcall did a write up on the Diesel Place about it.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
yeah he could, or add a much simpler and better unit and not have quite the hassle... but ok

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes duratothemax that was my question. Can I put a FACTORY controller on? iddrew says I can, so what does it take to do this? Is the harness already there and I just have to buy the switch and install it? Is MaxBrake better than the factory controllers?

On another note, I just cannot see how ANY controller that is not integrated into the vehicle could work well. My opinion is, if the controller is not tied into the vehicles brake system there is NO way it could know how fast you are ACTUALLY TRYING to stop. It's easy to sense how fast the vehicle is stopping or do a time delay once the brake lights come on, but that says nothing about how fast the operator is TRYING to stop. In order for the pendulum style controller to work it has to sense decelleration which is only initially be done by the tow vehicle and NOT the trailer. So, the tow vehicle is initially doing all the braking.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Your truck should have the harness under the dash. I am not sure if it is the same harness for an aftermarket or a factory controller. Maybe someone else will chime in on that. I know the harness that is in it must be connected to the fuse box under the dash

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I talked to a technician at the local GMC dealer last night and he said I can buy the controler and bottom dash panel and plug it in, but he would have to program the truck to use it. So, I'll check on the price of the switch/controller and let you know.

·
Registered
616 Posts
The integrated brake controller uses a pressure switch on the master cylinder. If you don't have an integrated brake controller from the factory, I doubt you can easily or cheaply add one.

A better alternative would be to buy a Max Brake, which comes with the hardware to tie into the master cylinder brake lines to use the pressure in much the same way the factory one does.

No, you can't just buy a wiring harness and create a factory ITBC.

And, no, the aftermarket electronic brake controllers are not as good as the factory ITBC. The Prodigy is a good product, but does not compare to the technology built into the factory ITBC. JMO

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
eastex Thanks for that info. I have seen Max brake controllers and if I can't do the factory control I will do the Max controller just would've liked to had the factory controller to keep it cleaner looking and I think it would work better. I don't suppose the pressure switch can be added? I guess it would also depend on if the factory harness had the plug for the switch and the controller.

·
Registered
616 Posts
eastex Thanks for that info. I have seen Max brake controllers and if I can't do the factory control I will do the Max controller just would've liked to had the factory controller to keep it cleaner looking and I think it would work better. I don't suppose the pressure switch can be added? I guess it would also depend on if the factory harness had the plug for the switch and the controller.
Hey, I don't want to mislead you and say it can't be done. Anything can be done. I just doubt that it's easy or cheap. Continue to investigate with a knowledgeable GM tech. The pressure switch may already be present and used for some other purpose.

However, the Max Brake is something most people can do themselves and the cost is reasonable, although not as cheap as most electronic units.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Fwiw, I now have a 2010 lmm with the factory itbc. On my previous 2 trucks I had a prodigy p3, the previous truck to those 2 had the max brake. My 5th wheel is a 2000 model so I have used several different trucks and brake controllers pulling the same 5ver.
The prodigy p3 is by far the best controller of any I have used. The factory itbc in my lmm is terrible. Braking is smooth, mostly due to the lack of braking! Even turned all the way up or even grabbing the hand bar, the itbc provides little power to the trailer brakes.
Dealer has checked it out many times and could find nothing wrong with it.

For the money, and if I did not have the itbc, I would use the p3, without hesitation.

The max brake I had on my ford was better than the itbc I have on the lmm, but still not near as good as the p3.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went and compared my truck to an 09 with the controller. I couldn't find any differences under the hood with the master cylinder or as far as I could see down the lines to the frame. I traced the wires under the dash coming from the switch up further toward the top of the dash like behind the cluster which then I couldn't see them from underneath, so I'm not sure where it plugs in. So far I've been told that I need: a relay $41, the bottom panel that the switch goes in $48, switch $27, a module $86 and that I might need it programmed approx $70.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Parts for IBC

Here's the list:
Trim Panel
Switch
Dash Wiring Harness
Master Cylinder
EBCM
TBCM
Trailer Brake Relay
Chassis Wiring Harness
Update EBCM
Reprogram Cluster w/ vin of truck w/ JL1
Here's the list: Part Number MSRP
Trim Panel 15844172 $ 40.25
Switch 15926102 29.37
Dash Wiring Harness 15945337 63.37
Master Cylinder 15837546 195.78
EBCM 25802684 170.54
TBCM 25788981 105.00
Trailer Brake Relay 25837945 55.50
Chassis Wiring Harness 25826569 387.43
Total $1,047.25
Update EBCM
Reprogram Cluster w/ vin of truck w/ JL1

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jc1843: What are TB and EB control modules? Are you sure I would need all that? I do have the tow package which had the harness for an aftermarket brake control and the plug and hitch. If it does involve all that than it would be much cheaper to go aftermarket.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes. I have read the posts above. I own 2011 Silverado 1500. The Dealer says it can not be done. They' re not the sharpest here. Can you direct me where I can get the computor reprogramed etc.

Thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.