Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Can I put a new infotainment system in an older pickup?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  flyinhawaiian968 
#1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has done it or if it would even be possible to put the radio out of an 2020 my 2500 to a 2008 my 2500? How much would have to be done to do it/ would it even be worth it? I kinda like not have all of the technology problems or having to deal with the touch screen but it would be cool. Just a thought.

#2 ·
Unless you have the radio from a 2020 all ready the purchase price probally would not be worth it. Easier to go after market with a pac wiring harness.

#3 ·
It would definitely be cool, but with all the connections between the new head units and the vehicle's ecm, I think you'd have way more issues with stuff that your truck doesn't have that the head unit is looking for.

Personally, a really nice aftermarket head unit with some good speakers (and maybe a sub if you really want it to sound great!), a backup cam and the PAC steering wheel controller would be a fantastic upgrade to your truck and give you about 80% of what the new head units have. Really, the only thing you'll be missing is the HVAC controls, the onboard diagnostics via OnStar, and the data package for streaming audio is all you'd be really missing, aside from some other things. If you really want the diagnostic stuff, you can tie that into your phone too via another aftermarket add-on, IDataLink's Maestro. I have the Maestro RR in my wife's 4Runner and its pretty nice for what it does, it integrates a bunch of obdii functions (TPMS temp/psi, trans temp, etc.) but its not cheap to add on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.