Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked all over the net and cant find a ball park wieght for a pull type combine. The old man wants to get a Case IH 1692 pull type combine but they are prob 300 or less km's away. Can a 3/4 ton handle these? Might have to go down a few good size hills too. I know the 1482 pushed our tractor around in the field if you try to stop too quick, but that loaded of course. Not sure what the tonge weight would be like either?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
If you can hook to it you can tow it!!! :gearjamin
Thats my moto, but stopping it now thats another story :D I know this is no help but here is a bump for ya

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well Ill know for sure if I hook up to our combine we have now, but it will prob be a few weeks till it dries up enough to get to it. I have mental pictures of my truck jack knifing down a hill and killing a school bus full of children, then spending 30 years in jail. Lol.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
LMAO thats a pretty graphic image! Runaway combine kills 28 children!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I looked up the 1482 then decided to try 1682. Grew up on a farm too. Guessing 14 of the 1482 is the head width so figured 1682 made sense. found a page below. That dude weighs 17000+ lbs. With a offset hitch stopping would be a bitch. If you try I would roll down the passenger side windows. That way when it jack knifes into the passenger side you wont' get glass in your face and don't take a passenger.

IRON Search - 1987 Case IH 1682 Combine For Sale By JayDee AgTech in Saskatchewan

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those combines fold up nice for transport mode. They pull directly behind you when its folded up. 17,000 eh? Hmmmmmm.......... no brakes is the enemy here.

·
Registered
386 Posts
:D Things like that never happen!

Attachments

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats the same color of my truck even. Lol!!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Then BE CAREFUL!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No kidding, the guy in that truck is probably dead!

·
Registered
541 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
My friend got to work that accident, I just pulled them off his facebook page. The silverado pulled out infront of it, I want to say he lived, but I dont see that happening

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well im not going to try anything stupid on the highway till I can hook up to one of ours and pull it around in the field and see how it handles.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
So the combine only wieghs 17,000 pounds???:confused:

If so you can haul it easy, I just took a 7810 into town that weighs about 18,000 punds with no problem

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,953 Posts
I would say you can pull it but I would load it on a trailer with brakes!!!! Either that or have a buddy sit in it to stop it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
You shouldnt have a problem. Im a demco dealer and i deliver 1000 & 1300 bushell grain carts all the time. They are comparable in weight, start slow at the top of the hills you are worried about.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I am gonna agree with all of the above. Stopping will be the enemy there, make sure you can do it!!
I have had some pretty decent loads behind my truck and I KNOW it could pull more

·
Registered
566 Posts
You can pull it but can you stop it???
Good luck and be safe.

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
I think you can handle this just fine, just be careful on the hills. I helped a buddy move a road grader a few months back with his 3/4, I'm pretty sure that antique grader was 20k +. No trailer brakes, stopping was kinda tricky

1 - 20 of 21 Posts