Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My tow vehicle is a 2014 Gmc 2500 4x4 standard box with a 3.73 rear axle with the Duramax. I am looking at a 41ft Gateway that has a dry weight of 13100lbs, GVWR 15500lbs, and a dry hitch wt of 2020lbs. I have installed the airlift 5000 airbags to my truck. Is anyone pulling similar weight with a 3/4 ton?

·
Premium Member
1,980 Posts
My tow vehicle is a 2014 Gmc 2500 4x4 standard box with a 3.73 rear axle with the Duramax. I am looking at a 41ft Gateway that has a dry weight of 3100lbs, GVWR 15500lbs, and a dry hitch wt of 2020lbs. I have installed the airlift 5000 airbags to my truck. Is anyone pulling similar weight with a 3/4 ton?
Almost identical weight as that. You are good to go. Rear tires at 80psi and be watchful of tight turns (standard box). That dry weight is 12,999lbs for the Heartland Gateway 3650

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Your more then fine! My 36' fifth wheel Toyhauler fully loaded down with toys and beers weighs in at 16850 and my truck don't skip a beat. Don't underestimate it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
128 Posts
thats about 1000lbs more than mine and i can go anywhere i want including mountains, and whoop that punk ass tundra towing a single axle box trailer. :gearjamin

·
Registered
159 Posts
Almost identical weight as that. You are good to go. Rear tires at 80psi and be watchful of tight turns (standard box). That dry weight is 12,999lbs for the Heartland Gateway 3650
I have a 2003 2500HD GMC crew cab 4x4 short box with a slider hitch. I am towing a 36 ft toyhauler rated at 12330 dry, 15500they say loaded. But I only have a golf cart in the garage. So far, it tows like a dream. I was wondering like others, how legal I am by weight. I plan to put it on a scale soon to verify total weght. Do I look good with my tow capacity? My. Golf cart is only 800, so I think I am light 1700 on thee garage rating of 2500. My total weight should be about 14,000. Not sure how much the older 2003 has for max tow fifth wheel. When I bought the TH, I was cofident that I was safe. Did not go tripple axle 18000 lbs with the 2500. Thinking 18000 means 3500 dually.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I hauled my brothers welding pickup that weighted about that by itself on a 28 gooseneck up a 3 mile long steep hill completely stock and only lost 3mph. You'll be fine haha

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
You are fine. Put about 70 pounds in the air bags and take it easy on corners. Should be able to pull it as fast as you want it to

·
Registered
159 Posts
You are fine. Put about 70 pounds in the air bags and take it easy on corners. Should be able to pull it as fast as you want it to
What will I gain putting on air bags? How much do they cost?
Seems to take the 14,000 pounds running level as far as I can tell without bags.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
What will I gain putting on air bags? How much do they cost?
Seems to take the 14,000 pounds running level as far as I can tell without bags.
14,000 GTW? Air bags are all about pin weight. The bags level the truck, make it ride smoother, keep your headlights from pointing to the sky and reduce body roll.

An air bag set up costs as low as $350 up to $600-700 with a compressor

·
Registered
159 Posts
14,000 GTW? Air bags are all about pin weight. The bags level the truck, make it ride smoother, keep your headlights from pointing to the sky and reduce body roll.

An air bag set up costs as low as $350 up to $600-700 with a compressor
not familiar with term GTW. My toyhauler is about 14,000 pounds. Dealer says hitch weight is 2400. When it is on the truck, it does not look over loaded, but I am sure it lowers the bumper a few inches. I guess the air bag would help put it back where it was without the 2400 pounds resting on the bed. Sounds like I should look into some air bags. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,980 Posts
not familiar with term GTW. My toyhauler is about 14,000 pounds. Dealer says hitch weight is 2400. When it is on the truck, it does not look over loaded, but I am sure it lowers the bumper a few inches. I guess the air bag would help put it back where it was without the 2400 pounds resting on the bed. Sounds like I should look into some air bags. Thanks.
I would with a hitch weight of 2400#. Like Premis said it will really help with roll and you'll notice a much better night driving experience. You'll find yourself not having to compensate or tense nearly as much.

·
Registered
430 Posts

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Question on bags?
Is anyone running the wireless ride rite system with bags?
Also is anyone running bags with a lifted truck?
Been thinking about adding bags for a while. Thanks in advance!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I see you are running Idaho Robs tune. What kind of mileage do you calculate? My DIC says I am averaging 15.8 over the winter. Short trips. My work is 3 miles. I remember 16-19 last summer, just truck. Calculated 9-10 Towing 14,000 lb toyhauler. I have a Diablo tuner. Most time I am in economy, but tow mode when hauling camper. Wonering how Idaho Robs tune compares..and your other mods. Sure would like to o alittle better on mpg. When I got 19 empty , I was keeping it at 55 mph on purpose, long trip. How much was Idaho's setup? Diablo was about $300.

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
My question is how will it tow being that long and tall? It's not the weight, it's the profile. Get a cross wind and I I bet the pucker factor goes way up. I will not tow with anything but a dually no matter how small the trailer.

Sent Through My Duramax's Bung Hole

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
My question is how will it tow being that long and tall? It's not the weight, it's the profile. Get a cross wind and I I bet the pucker factor goes way up. I will not tow with anything but a dually no matter how small the trailer.

Goose hit the nail on the head, its the "sail" affect more than the weight. I jsut picked up a skid steer, 2 buckets and a backhoe attachment on a BP 20ft bearvertail, total towing weight was probably around 16k, but it wasnt a big wind profile, my old LB7 towed it fine. I have gotten more pucker from towing a empty box trailer that prolly weighed 1/2 as much, but with the wind would seriously give you some feedback...

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Yep. I've towed 27K pounds of steel plates and flatbed Gooseneck trailer behind a RC C&C flatbed and found myself doing 95 keeping up with traffic. Then there are. For a SWR I'd keep a 5er in the 35 foot range and no triple axles either.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Agreed on the issue of tall profile, cross wind, etc.

I started doing RV transport with both trucks in my sig.

The dually is a far more stable platform because it has a bigger footprint on the road. A crosswind wind doesn't effect it as much as it does with the SRW. Last week I towed two identical 28' trailers, one with each truck. The SRW got pushed around in the wind.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts