Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a note yesterday for advice on removing a turbo from a 2013, now I wonder if I am chasing the right rabbit. I get the P003A error occasionally. My truck still runs pretty well when pulling a gooseneck with about 8000lbs, and when hauling a ~2000lb slide-in camper up hills in a head wind. I do notice a slight drop-off in mileage, and the engine brake doesn't appear to work. I had noticed a significant growl in the turbo when I would turn off my truck, but I don't hear that any more. The local dealer tried to do a relearn and said my turbo actuator will not go below 75%. Can this be as simple as replacing the actuator? They thought the turbo was likely gunked up and the vanes stuck. I had begun taking out the turbo to examine/repair/and/or replace and am to the point of removing the up and down pipes which looks very difficult, and maybe impossible on a 2013 w/o removing the cab or pulling the engine or dropping the tranny. I can't find clear info on removing this turbo for this specific truck. Would be easy to check the actuator at this point. Any advice?

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Before you do more work, suscribe to ALLDATADIY.COM and get more information about your problem, what could be causing it, how to test to see where the problem is, etc. It COULD be sticking vanes as well as several other things.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I do have the ALLDATADIY subscription but was hoping with my symptoms I posted that someone might have some additional insights. I plan to test the Vane Position Control Solenoid Valve tomorrow. Also, after re-reading some other sources I think the up and down pipes just have to be unbolted from the turbo, not removed from the truck. That makes it less intimidating if I have to remove the turbo. Lots of us are stuck at home with the COVID stuff so this gives me something to do.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Congratulations on your ALLDATADIY subscription. Few of our readers have such an aid to assist them when they have problems and/or questions about their trucks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts