Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a redhead gearbox in my truck back in April/May . I’ve been hunting down play in my steering . I can turn my steering wheel from 11-2 without it doing anything . It’s just dead space . I have new wheel bearings , pitman arm , and tie rods . There is the same amount of play whether the truck is turned on or off . I crawled underneath and grabbed the steering shaft with my hand . The truck was turned off and the steering shaft turned back and forth . That’s where the play ends . Does this mean it’s my new gearbox ? Should that steering shaft be tight if the truck is turned off ?

·
Registered
778 Posts
This sounds like an intermediate steering shaft. It should not have this much play but this sounds like that it is the only thing it could be. Pretty simple to replace if you remove the inner fender well. Not sure what else it could possibly be. Which you should be able to tell by climbing under the truck it isnt the gearbox

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This sounds like an intermediate steering shaft. It should not have this much play but this sounds like that it is the only thing it could be. Pretty simple to replace if you remove the inner fender well. Not sure what else it could possibly be. Which you should be able to tell by climbing under the truck it isnt the gearbox
How can you tell it isn’t the gearbox ? Climbing underneath the entire steering shaft seems pretty solid . (There’s no play in the u joint ) . If the play stops at the gearbox and is just taking the steering shaft some time to catch inside the gearbox , could that mean a bad box ?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Sounds like bad box. I was going to say thats what it was but it seemed to me it would be the steering shaft but. If you tested it this way and it looks like the slack is in the box thats the problem. What size tires are you running

·
Premium Member
10,656 Posts
Replacement steering boxes are hit and miss as to how tight they are, plenty of reading on here on this subject.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Replacement steering boxes are hit and miss as to how tight they are, plenty of reading on here on this subject.
Correct , I saw this reading . I called redhead and they had me tighten the box , but that did not help at all. That’s why I thought maybe I’m missing something

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sounds like bad box. I was going to say thats what it was but it seemed to me it would be the steering shaft but. If you tested it this way and it looks like the slack is in the box thats the problem. What size tires are you running
265/75/16

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update : I was crawling around underneath again . I noticed that the steering shaft is moving fine with no play. But I noticed that on the gearbox there is the shaft the comes out the top , that you bolt the steering what to. I had my fiancé turn the steering wheel while off (just to see where the play is coming from ) when she was moving it , it was actually taking the steering shaft a second to grab the shaft coming out of the gearbox . Idk what’s going on .

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could these be a bad steering shaft still ? Or maybe it’s just not bolted to the gearbox correctly ?

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
Pull the fender liner out for inspect.

Have someone turn the steering wheel as you inspect the whole shaft and box for any slack present.

It's not unusual to see threads complaining about a 'new' box being sloppier than the used one it replaced.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pull the fender liner out for inspect.

Have someone turn the steering wheel as you inspect the whole shaft and box for any slack present.

It's not unusual to see threads complaining about a 'new' box being sloppier than the used one it replaced.
I don’t think the issue lies in the gearbox . When looking at it the shaft on the gearbox that the steering shaft bolts in to doesn’t spin when the steering shaft first starts . That’s where the play seems to be coming from

1 - 11 of 11 Posts