Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
That truck only has a 9100 pound tow capacity. By the time you put the Bobcat on the trailer, you will be probably 14000 lbs. The truck's suspension and braking system probably will not handle that much weight.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That truck only has a 9100 pound tow capacity. By the time you put the Bobcat on the trailer, you will be probably 14000 lbs. The truck's suspension and braking system probably will not handle that much weight.
This is what I thought , I was wondering why he said he towed that much... interesting.... I didn’t buy the truck to tow a bobcat , was just curious if it could

·
Registered
97 Posts
I mean, you probably could tow it. But is it safe to tow that much weight? Probably not. The braking system and suspension for these trucks are for a specific weight capacity.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Of course it will tow it,just not legally according to the weight rating..Drive sensibly and be careful with load/weight placement and it doesn't take much truck to haul a skid steer loader.but regardless,if it's not legal,probably not a good idea to do it much.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Tow decision likely needs to include information about 'How far, how fast, how often and what type of grades'.

Reactions: JimmyD

·
Registered
2007 Chevrolet CCSB 4X4 LMM... its red
23 Posts
I saw a guy loading a bobcat on a trailer hooked up to a 1500 last year. When he pulled onto the trailer, it lifted the entire rear of the truck off the ground. It was a beater truck but I can't imagine he did that for very long before destroying the truck.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I saw a guy loading a bobcat on a trailer hooked up to a 1500 last year. When he pulled onto the trailer, it lifted the entire rear of the truck off the ground. It was a beater truck but I can't imagine he did that for very long before destroying the truck.
Loading our tractor did that with my Tundra but it would probably lift the 3500 also as the trailer really is susposed to have blocks under it to keep that from happening. Towed 14k+ with the Tundra but only on country farm roads and your braking was definitely compromised.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Nice kitty...

·
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Yokohama Geolandar A/T
1,869 Posts
The motor can do it, sure. But your transmission, rear end, brakes and suspension were not intended to have that much weight behind you. Someone inevitably is going to say something like "Put airbags on it and you'll be fine".... don't listen to them. There's more to pulling that much weight than just getting the load moving.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
The bobcat I am getting weighs 9827

A friend of mine says he tows dump trailers and bobcats with his

anyone have any experience
We have two L5P Duramax trucks that pull our equipment trailers. One hitch and one gooseneck. In an emergency one day using my personal LM2 I pulled the hitch two axle loaded with our Bobcat 770 at 10,000 lbs and probably 14K gross on the trailer. The only difference I could really notice was I needed some air bags on the 1500 High Country so I could load the 770 with a bit more hitch weight. The 9100 lbs limit is BS IMO.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Among other things, the SAE tow rating standard they are all using (instead of each manufacturer using their own rating method) also requires pulling a grade (Davis Dam) at specified speeds, at elevated temperature while maintaining coolant temperatures.

SAE J2807 Tow Tests - The Standard

·
Registered
89 Posts
Not a good idea. If something goes wrong, you or somebody else may pay dearly. Lawyers love this kind of activity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017, 2500HD, LTZ, front guard, Duraflap mudguards, Leer bed topper
787 Posts
Tail wagging the dog, too much tail, not enough dog.

Have you ridden bicycles or motorcycles?
If so, do you recall how much 'braking' you had with so little contact patch?
Remember how you wished you had 'slowed down'?
Did you try to turn at that speed and having to hit the brakes?
Remember the impact?

It was poor judgement meets physics.

Inertia... with all that weight (mass) you have, the trailer and/or load can become too much tail.. and you, not enough dog.

So.. imagine, you have a handfull of truck, trailer, load... and you find yourself a bit too fast.. or a Texting Special Needs Operator (not a driver) pulls out or brake checks you.... Don't you hate it when people mistreat dogs?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I told you someone would come along and say it just needs airbags and it is fine.
I've got a 2+5/16" ball and an electric brake controller on my 2010 Pathfinder and I ain't afraid to use it. History favors the bold.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts