Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
I told you someone would come along and say it just needs airbags and it is fine.
Melonhead, please explain how that remark lends to the conversation? I've watched forum after forum lose members and leave the internet because of that type of remark. The OP asked a question and I gave one example, that's all.

Our company has pulled over 200,000 lb 9 axle loads with a 20,000 Peterbilt 18,000 lb 3 axle tractor. Now put that in your tin foil hat adding machine and tell me what you come you with. Brake capacity vs load ratings are linked to the trailer and NOT necessarily the tow vehicle as some of you here seem to believe.

No, I wouldn't make a habit of using the 1500 like that except in an emergency situation as I stated. But I see people with overloaded 20,000 lb little dump trailers on 3/4 ton trucks hauling as much as our 3 axle dump truck every day. Chit happens, get used to it. The highway patrol commercial folks love to catch those little dump trailers.

We have a nice F550 er 3500 L5P with a gooseneck 8 tire trailer that handles a 10K Bobcat just fine.

But, I will say again, the 9100 lb tow rating on the 1500 is too low in my opinion.

·
Registered
2017, 2500HD, LTZ, front guard, Duraflap mudguards, Leer bed topper
786 Posts
Melonhead, please explain how that remark lends to the conversation? I've watched forum after forum lose members and leave the internet because of that type of remark. The OP asked a question and I gave one example, that's all.
(SNIP)

We have a nice F550 er 3500 L5P with a gooseneck 8 tire trailer that handles a 10K Bobcat just fine.

But, I will say again, the 9100 lb tow rating on the 1500 is too low in my opinion.
Paul.. If I were to attempt pulling the huge loads with that Peterbilt, your insurance rates would really go up.

Competency... if not required, how much would you pay your drivers?

When a young pilot, my seasoned instructor told me...."Son, you are so far behind this airplane the emergency response will be taking a break by the time you get to the scene of the crash."

Remember, there are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots, but there are no Old Bold Pilots.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Thanks, I love watching the aircraft accident investigation reports and case studies. It's amazing how many more are pilot or tower error over mechanical malfunctions, but they both take a toll. Alaska flight 261 I know well because we knew some folks on that flight. If Alaska Airlines had listened to the lead mechanic the "acme garage door opener type jack screw" controlling the horizontal stabilizer would have been replaced or at least lubricated at proper intervals. Sad.. I'm not a fan of the MD-80 control design, as you can probably tell. Maintenance malpractice can be deadly...

Anyway, back to trucks. I lost my last driver to the COVID jab. I tried to talk him out of it but..I could go on about that, but I won't.. I'm in my 70's and will not take the jab, ever... He was making around 33 per hour with some OT.

The insurance doesn't change for heavy haul truck tractors as they are insured for 80K gross. Any weight over that requires a DOT trip permit with axle spacing, weight, height and width etc. Individual tire (stamped) weight ratings cannot be exceeded at any time.

I know a few pilots and have flown with them a lot, I've flown some second seat and when I was in the AF I got a few rides in the F101 on a completely empty stomach of course. LOL The pilots I know push the envelop occasionally, but I'm not a big fan of doing that. Overconfidence is the biggest mistake a pilot or truck driver can make. IMO..

[QUOTE="cfell, post: 12353163, member: 70152"
When a young pilot, my seasoned instructor told me...."Son, you are so far behind this airplane the emergency response will be taking a break by the time you get to the scene of the crash."

Remember, there are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots, but there are no Old Bold Pilots.

[/QUOTE]

·
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Yokohama Geolandar A/T
1,869 Posts
The only difference I could really notice was I needed some air bags on the 1500 High Country so I could load the 770 with a bit more hitch weight. The 9100 lbs limit is BS IMO.
Melonhead, please explain how that remark lends to the conversation?
-----------
I have quoted the portions of your posts that are relevant to this comment. The manufacturer puts the weight ratings in place after consideration is given to multiple aspects of the tow vehicle, both for the longevity of the vehicle, safety going down the road, and I would assume some consideration is given to the fact that the majority of people who purchase trucks in the 1500 category do not pull regularly, and pull heavy even less.

At the end of my post, I said someone inevitably will come along and say it just needs airbags and it's fine and that the OP should not listen to them. You came along a few posts after mine and said what I have quoted just now. You are giving bad advice to someone looking for answers on an internet forum by way of providing your personal experience.

YOU have the experience necessary to reliably move that load with that undersized truck. You mentioned your reason for wanting the airbags was so you could load a heavier tongue (I'm making the assumption you simply want to lessen the squat of the 1500 and don't actually believe airbags increase payload capacity) which illustrates to me that you know what you're doing. However, I'll make the potentially erroneous assumption that someone asking about it on an internet forum probably does not have the hauling experience necessary to move that load safely, and therefore adding airbags to the truck is not the answer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That truck only has a 9100 pound tow capacity. By the time you put the Bobcat on the trailer, you will be probably 14000 lbs. The truck's suspension and braking system probably will not handle that much weight.
To be safe, you will need a 3\4 t truck. Tempting to do it with the 3.0. But one accident because your truck would not stop soon enough and they get a lawyer, citations galore and a hurting pocket book. I sold my brother in law my 2003 S-10. Got me a 2012 Silverado with the 6.6 Duramax. Need this to haul around safely my Cat 304 CCR track hoe. 11k sitting on the ground, then the weight of the trailer in combination. No question, 3\4 is the obvious answer.

·
Registered
2017, 2500HD, LTZ, front guard, Duraflap mudguards, Leer bed topper
786 Posts
Words are insufficient conveying my sadness for loss of your friends. I have experienced same… tragic, and motivating.

When such potential dangers are involved, as in “public transit” you realize the government and the other businesses just want $$$… our blood for their $$$. It is “just business “ to keep “on-time” and stretch every dollar until it breaks.

I have lost family and friends in aviation, marine, etc. Even lost one in the Luby’s multiple shooting in Killeen, TX because “law” did not permit exercising of our God given right to self protection and protected in law in our Constitution, by the 2nd Amendment. Many others died because people were defenseless. Heck, there were Army folks there who had no right to self-defense and were incapable of returning fire. Tragic and motivating.

I was sitting in a helicopter maintenance operation running out of Louisiana. While there a 25 year old or so, certified A&P technician came in with a tail rotor drive universal joint. He was wobbling it in his hands and hands off to the maintenance supervisor… an older guy, former military from decorations in the wall,… the supervisor said, it will make another couple flights…reinstall and write it up for field repair when we get the part... It made the news, the debris was located.. Tragic and motivating.

This company lost many lives of passengers and crew over the years. The insurance costs eventually led to their demise. But their maintenance was cheap. Tragic and motivating.

If automotive “accidents” were more carefully investigated, all would get the “tiger woods” attention and causality. Then things might Improve. Tragic, motivating

Enter a salesman, trying to feed his/her/it’s family and Ol’ All-Hat-No-Cattle, Jimmy jacked-up truck gets sold a trailer which puts Jimmy “at the limit” of his tow hardware when it was at design specs… without considering the “mods” in the truck.And a sale is made. Tragic, motivating

This trailer and Jimmy may choose to endanger/risk the lives of his friends and loved ones… but there is no justification for taking this risk on the road...that is why we have DUI's.. Driving Under Informed.. ?

Tragic and motivating.

·
Registered
38 Posts
To be safe, you will need a 3\4 t truck. Tempting to do it with the 3.0. But one accident because your truck would not stop soon enough and they get a lawyer, citations galore and a hurting pocket book. I sold my brother in law my 2003 S-10. Got me a 2012 Silverado with the 6.6 Duramax. Need this to haul around safely my Cat 304 CCR track hoe. 11k sitting on the ground, then the weight of the trailer in combination. No question, 3\4 is the obvious answer.
Unbelievable.If you can't stop as fast,increase your following distance.Most loaded semis take far longer to stop then a half ton loaded over its weight rating.The difference is that (some) semi drivers have adapted and learned how to deal with the increased stopping distance.A 3/4 ton can't fix stupid.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
These towing question threads are all the same. A lot of bickering, misinformation and plenty of legal advice. Yet the OP has never asked for legal advice.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts