Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bother in law has the LLY and that thing whistles like a jet motor, my father in law has the LB7 and it is a low-loud rumble, both are straight piped fromt he turbo back, but my brother in law has 5" exhaust and my father in laws is 3", The LLY has a programer, and a cai, all my father in law has is a k&n air filter, Can we get the LB7 to sound the same? And how can we do it? thanks

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
yes just put a 5" on the lb7.On my lly with a stock pipe made into a straight it whistled real loud,i even had guys wondering if i was running twin turbos.then i put a 5" turbo back magnaflow exhaust on and it really rumbled under full throttle,but then i switch to a dual 4" silverline turbo back exhaust and put the 5" on my 06 lbz.ps the 5" sounds the best.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
My bother in law has the LLY and that thing whistles like a jet motor, my father in law has the LB7 and it is a low-loud rumble, both are straight piped fromt he turbo back, but my brother in law has 5" exhaust and my father in laws is 3", The LLY has a programer, and a cai, all my father in law has is a k&n air filter, Can we get the LB7 to sound the same? And how can we do it? thanks
quick question what exhaust does your brother'n'law have

·
Registered
63 Posts
My dad has a 05 powerstroke with a 4" turbo-back straight and when it is idling the turbo is really loud like a jet. I heard that on the duramax that it will never whistle like this. I have an LBZ and was wondering if a 5" turbo back straight would make it whistle really loud like this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I installed a AFE air box on my lb7 and it really made the wistle stand out. Did not really notice anything after the turbo back exhaust. The air box made a difference. Towing heavy at 70mph with the passenger window open you can really hear the high pitched wistle. SOUNDS AWESOME.:gearjamin

Keep in mind LB7's had a fixed vane turbo un like the variable one in the newer models. The 6.0 powerstroke is a different animal all together but at least my LB7 still pulls strong with 110k miles on it and still gets better fuel economy.

:cool :blowup

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
My dad has a 05 powerstroke with a 4" turbo-back straight and when it is idling the turbo is really loud like a jet. I heard that on the duramax that it will never whistle like this. I have an LBZ and was wondering if a 5" turbo back straight would make it whistle really loud like this?
yes it will whistle if you install the 5" turbo back with out the muffler that comes along.like i said i have a 06 lbz and i installed the 5" magnaflow with out the muffler that came with it and it whistled,so installed the muffler and that took care of that problem.it sounds mean with a 5" and i love it:rockin

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yeah I have had buddies ask me if I have an extra turbo under the hood...all it is for exhaust is the 5 inch straight back with the lb7 engine....Give the throttle a punch and it will put a smile on ur face!!

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
you got to love the sound of a 5" exhaust:rockin ,i noticed with the muffler on it cuts the whistle and it grummbles a little bit when it idles,i think i like it better that way.:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
i live in california, if i replace the down pipe and remove the catalytic converter would that have an effect on the computer, or make the check engine light come on?

·
Registered
68 Posts
No it shouldnt. I cut right behind the cat and knocked all the packing out then cut out the muffler and it made it quite a bit louder plus u can hear the turbo wind alot cleaner!!!! :rockin

·
Registered
59 Posts
Great topic, nothing better than finding out how to get that jet sound, now all i need is to find out how to get the black smoke :)

·
Registered
680 Posts
turbo whine

Hey Zane you said your dad has a powerstroke, and the turbo is really loud. Banks makes a different impeller for the turbo alot louder. I work at a ford/kia dealership, and I check out every powerstroke that comes into the shop.

·
Registered
680 Posts
exhaust

I run a turbo back 5'' mbrp and 6" tip on my lbz. It definitely souns like a jet. I was going to remove the muffler, and have a staight pipe 5" exhaust which will be really short. But have not gotten around to doing that yet. I was going to wait until I got a cold air intake to see if the would also have an effect on the sound. As it would on a gasser.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
Great topic, nothing better than finding out how to get that jet sound, now all i need is to find out how to get the black smoke :)
well if you want black smoke here you go....you can run on the stock tranny to run with this programmer but it would be alot better to have the tranny upgrade...PPE HOT E.T. 2 http://www.pacificp.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_35_30&products_id=97 and here is a video clip with my 05 LLY and the only thing done to it was the programmer http://video.thedieselgarage.com/video/1ce15744-6fc3-4174-b809-986a011bb464.htm one more question is your truck a 03 or 04

·
Registered
63 Posts
Mackthehack, you say they make a different impeller for the powerstroke that will make it even louder?

·
Registered
680 Posts
impeller

Yes, Banks makes one or two, I think there might be another company. The first time I heard a powerstroke whistle like that I had to do some research, because I did want a powerstroke the 7.3 before I realized how much better a Duramax is. I even looked ebay, and found a couple.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Down pipe??

Where can you buy the down pipe replacement at for the LB7??

1 - 20 of 21 Posts