Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may sound a little dumb but I was wondering if you can gut a DPF? I gutted the Cats on my first car when I dropped in a non emmision SBC so it would appear to have them on it. I live in an area where no emmision testing is done but they do look for the equipment to be on the truck. So instead of doing a DPF delete pipe can you get rid of all the honeycomb junk inside and run your delete program? Anybody tried this or at least thought about it?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Yes you can but i would not do anything with your factory exhaust and just hold on to it because you never know maybe in the future some one will need one real bad to were they will give you some good money for it or if you decide to put it back on for other reasons.

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
^^^ x2. You could, potentially, but if you ever need it for any reason, it's like $1500 to replace. The way things are going, the whole US could be subject to emission testing in 6 months lol, might not ever happen, you just can't tell.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow I didn't know those things were that expensive. I agree, at that price it would be foolish to destroy one. Cats are way cheaper to replace. I just hate the idea of cutting it off and having to go through the trouble of reinstalling it once a year. I really didnt think much about it before I bought the the truck. I just really wanted the new body style. Now after having it the mileage compared to non DPF is so drastic. Makes me wish I had done a lil more research and found a prior DPF model. My last truck was a CTD and got excellent MPG and no complaints about the drive train at all (cause it aint dodge) but the truck itself was just cheaply made. I guess it just comes down to life with a DPF truck. Oh well, I still love my truck and dont see myself driving anything else!

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
You can get a DPF delete pipe that bolts directly into the location of the DPF. Then it's just minutes to swap in the DPF and have the factory equipment there when you have an inspection. This route is very popular in states that do yearly emissions testing.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Wow I didn't know those things were that expensive. I agree, at that price it would be foolish to destroy one. Cats are way cheaper to replace. I just hate the idea of cutting it off and having to go through the trouble of reinstalling it once a year. I really didnt think much about it before I bought the the truck. I just really wanted the new body style. Now after having it the mileage compared to non DPF is so drastic. Makes me wish I had done a lil more research and found a prior DPF model. My last truck was a CTD and got excellent MPG and no complaints about the drive train at all (cause it aint dodge) but the truck itself was just cheaply made. I guess it just comes down to life with a DPF truck. Oh well, I still love my truck and dont see myself driving anything else!
ill trade ya :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts