Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad will be picking up his 2020 GMC 2500HD Crew on Thursday or Saturday. He’s going to want a nice canopy for it. In the past he’s had ARE Z-Series, a higher end Leer, and most-recently a real nice SnugTop. So far he’s not been able to get an availability date from any of these regarding a cap for the new 2020’s. Do any of you others have any info, or another idea?

·
Registered
199 Posts
So far, I am having the same issue finding a cap - from research online it seems the DCU series from ARE might be the only option. I did the "build your quote online" and got the following response from the local dealer;

23" Deluxe Commercial Unit (DCU) - $2010.00
DCU Color: Painted To Match - $437.00
Interior Choice: No Skin - Standard
Rear Door Choice: Double Full With Window - $360.00
Driver Side Door Choice: Full Length Door - Standard
Passenger Side Door Choice: Full Length Door - Standard
Driver Side Toolbox Choice: Standard Toolbox (Steel) - $170.00
Passenger Side Toolbox Choice: Standard Toolbox (Steel) - $170.00
Front Window Choice: Clear Mitered Sliding Window - $77.00
Ladder Rack Choice: Ladder Rack With Center Support and Third Leg - $153.00
Backup Camera Option: Backup Camera with Truck Wiring Harness (will ut ilize your trucks screen) - $300.00

Sub Total: $3677.00
Tax: $294.16
Install: FREE
Grand Total: $3971.16

·
Registered
6 Posts
I purchased my 2020 Denali HD at the end of July 2019 (had to go to Idaho to get it). I ordered a new Leer canopy for it the beginning of August 2019 (and put down a $500 deposit). Leer sent two wrong sized shells from Leer (the 2500/3500 has a longer bed than the 1500) two different times, which required the canopy dealer to reorder again since they and Leer thought the 1500 would fit. After no news from Leer for three months, I called the canopy dealer last week. The dealer called Leer and they had no idea when they will have a mold for the 2020 HDs. ARE and Snugtop are the same. So who knows.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have been a long time topper guy with all my trucks. I just installed a Diamond Back HD on my truck and love it. I went one step forward and put a bed slide also. Very very happy.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A friend of mine just got his new LEER installed on Monday. My dad is told that it still may be a while for the GMC version. The door is different for the trucks with the multi-pro tailgate.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
A friend of mine just got his new LEER installed on Monday. My dad is told that it still may be a while for the GMC version. The door is different for the trucks with the multi-pro tailgate.
Really curious to see how this affects the 360 camera views.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My dad will be picking up his 2020 GMC 2500HD Crew on Thursday or Saturday. He’s going to want a nice canopy for it. In the past he’s had ARE Z-Series, a higher end Leer, and most-recently a real nice SnugTop. So far he’s not been able to get an availability date from any of these regarding a cap for the new 2020’s. Do any of you others have any info, or another idea?
Leer and Century just released the mold for GMC 2500 HD and 3500 HD for 2020 models. I have been told the long box will fiit a dually with some modification. Leer has a new mold coming out for the dually soon, but I cannot wait, and ordered the long box version for my dually with fingers crossed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Curious what input I can get on this problem. I ordered an ARE canopy just over a year ago for my 2020 2500HD that I had just purchased. A must have for me were their side opening windows (windoors). I wanted the new Evolve style as well with the SUV like rear door. Then Covid hit and ARE kept saying that it would be another 2 months then another two months, then it got to the point that they had the mold for this truck but the rear glass was stuck in engineering. Then late last fall, after speaking with the US Sales manager at ARE I made the decision to go with the CX Classic that had all my needed features, but didn't have the SUV like rear glass. At that point they said that model was available.

2 weeks ago. (1 year after ordered) I received the canopy. This is the 3rd ARE CX Classic I've owed with the other 2 being on Tundra's. I'm fine with the canopy in all aspects except for the leaks. None of my other ARE canopies leaked like this. I don't expect 100% water tight, I know there can be some blow back from the rear corners, but I can completely wipe out the bed. Get it dry. Not drive it, let it sit over night during some normal evening rain showers, and then the next morning, open the bed to see water.

This happens from just sitting, not even driving. It's like the water literally wicks between the canopy and the bed rail. The carpet on the edges soaks up and then drips onto the Decked system. The windows are no leaking.

Canopy dealer says, it's the truck, not the canopy. Not ARE's or our issue. They did however pull it yesterday and put their "deluxe" gasket on. The picture above is the next morning. This sucks. They are telling that there is nothing that can be done and no sealer or other basket is going to prevent it. Not sure how I'm going to get it to the point of dryness I had with the Tundra's.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Curious what input I can get on this problem. I ordered an ARE canopy just over a year ago for my 2020 2500HD that I had just purchased. A must have for me were their side opening windows (windoors). I wanted the new Evolve style as well with the SUV like rear door. Then Covid hit and ARE kept saying that it would be another 2 months then another two months, then it got to the point that they had the mold for this truck but the rear glass was stuck in engineering. Then late last fall, after speaking with the US Sales manager at ARE I made the decision to go with the CX Classic that had all my needed features, but didn't have the SUV like rear glass. At that point they said that model was available.
View attachment 1084861

2 weeks ago. (1 year after ordered) I received the canopy. This is the 3rd ARE CX Classic I've owed with the other 2 being on Tundra's. I'm fine with the canopy in all aspects except for the leaks. None of my other ARE canopies leaked like this. I don't expect 100% water tight, I know there can be some blow back from the rear corners, but I can completely wipe out the bed. Get it dry. Not drive it, let it sit over night during some normal evening rain showers, and then the next morning, open the bed to see water.
View attachment 1084862

This happens from just sitting, not even driving. It's like the water literally wicks between the canopy and the bed rail. The carpet on the edges soaks up and then drips onto the Decked system. The windows are no leaking.

Canopy dealer says, it's the truck, not the canopy. Not ARE's or our issue. They did however pull it yesterday and put their "deluxe" gasket on. The picture above is the next morning. This sucks. They are telling that there is nothing that can be done and no sealer or other basket is going to prevent it. Not sure how I'm going to get it to the point of dryness I had with the Tundra's.
Dammit that’s disappointing. Just ordered an ARE Z2 for my 2021 and hope I don’t have the leak issue. One of the reasons I went from lid to topper is to keep things in back dry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
313 Posts
View attachment 1084861

View attachment 1084862

Just had an idea......may or may not work but is cheap and easy. Add 1 or 2 more clamps on each side. Sounds like the cap is not fitting flush with rails and more clamping pressure may squash the gasket for a better seal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
I went to a different shop here in Portland that deals with ARE. I’m done with the large shop I bought from. They’ll never get another dime from me based on the year of bulls&@t I went through with them. New shop said they could address with a $100 remount and extra caulk work. Said they fix the other shops installs frequently. I asked about adding another set of clamps and they strongly advised against. Said that even with light off road (which I do frequently to hunt, fish, cut firewood, mushroom hunt etc) it would frequently cause stress cracks in the shell due to not being able to flex correctly.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
The first thing I would do is to see where the leak occurs and see why it occurs specifically at that point. What's different about that point versus the rest of the shell? Must be something different there. Turn on a sprinkler and get inside and see what's actually happening and where.

There is likely a difference at the stake pockets that may need some extra attention, but what else? You have a flat metal top of the bed, a flat, wooden bottom of the shell, a foam rubber gasket between the two that should seal quite nicely. Your picture looks like the leak is at the window. Are you sure that window isn't leaking?

Do you need to remove the shell once you put it on? There is a clear sealant called FLEXEL that seals well and is very flexible, but it's not something you would want to use unless you had no plans to remove the shell.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts