Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have spent about an hour looking for the fuel filter on my 1998 GMC 2WD Sierra, with a 6.5 TD engine. There are photos showing it on the driver's side of the firewall, near the engine oil dipstick, and I have NOTHING there. The photos say that are from a 1998 H-1. Is there such a thing as an H-2? One thing that I DID notice when I was changing the oil yesterday, is that there is an all metal, inline filter in the fuel line behind the transmission X-member, and in front of a stiffening X-member. It is in the C-Channel of the frame. THOSE were supposed to be on much earlier models than the 98's, weren't they? I am going to HATE pulling THAT filter, fuel everywhere, (I'm on my back in the dirt doing this), and it will take FOREVER to get the line bled out.
Seriously guys, the only thing on that side of the engine is the ABS master cylinder, and some strange looking black plastic "horn" I guess an alarm. Could they have moved it under the plastic cover that is between the two banks of cylinders? HELLLLLP!! :help

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
On the pickups I have done, they were mounted on the firewall on the passenger side. We have some school buses that have 6.5's in them and they are mounted towards the rear of the engine, about where the distributer would be on a gas pot.

·
Registered
104 Posts
These are not typical looking spin on filters! It is right in the middle of the engine right infront of the fire wall. There is a black plastic top on it. It is about 4" in diameter. Look in the manual if you have one. If not I can post a picture of one to show what it looks like and where it is. And the filter you see on the frame is not a filter. Looks like one that is used on the gas trucks but it is actually a lift pump to supply fuel to the injection pump.

Here is a picture, looks like it was taken from the drivers side and not from the front of the truck but the black thing with the white paper on it is the filter head.

·
Legennn... wait for it...
1,833 Posts
and a wider-angle shot showing you right where it sits behind the intake manifold:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts