Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to install a shim kit on my fprv but i cant get the damn thing out. I have tried double wreching it and a 2 foot bar but it still wont break loose. I think im gonna break a motor mount before it breaks free :rof does anybody have any ideas? Im about to get the torch out but i dont really want to.

Thanks fellas

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
damn man everytime i read these threads everyone has such a hard time getting them out. dustins and my truck were so easy to get out i thought dustins was loose lol

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
Get a small sledge and give the wrench a few love taps.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
I couldn't get mine out either and I'll probably need to pull the fuel rail so I can put an impact on it.
I can vouch for the the fact that at least some FPRV are a complete bugger to get out.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah what a piss off! I have already tried giving the wrench a love tap but every time i try something differnt i keep slipping off and rounding the edges more. by the time i get it out im gonna need to buy a race valve because i wont be able to get a wrench on the fprv to tighten it back on lol. Im about to go down to my friends place and he is pretty good at getting shit like this out!

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
Get a friend to help hold the wrench on the bolt head. That is how we did mine. It wouldn't budge until we started beating the piss out of it. :)

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
I would suggest getting the PPE race valve too because once it's rounded off you won't be able to torque it again for install.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Don't smack it with your wife's purse but get rubber mallet and give it some love. If you hit it steel on steel and its that tight the harmonics and sudden force of impact may crack the rail.

·
Word Up
3,517 Posts
IF your having troubles maybe try and get a bernzomatic torch in there and heat it up some. I only had to use my big 18mm wrench and pulled like a mofo and got er loose. Make sure you watch for the o ring thats on it when you take it out. Mine fell off and went into the engine bay.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
I ground one side of the wrench, so the wrench had more contact with the nut-- helps to prevent rounding over the head of the plug. Then mine came off easy with the double-wrench pull.

Note--- The chamfer on each side of the wrench, prevents the teeth of the wrench from making full contact. The head of the FPRV plug is shallow, not like a regular bolt/nut.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all the tips guys. we ended up getting it out with quite a bit of heat and a 3/8 impact gun jammed in there and even then is was a bitch to break free. hopefully i didnt hurt the rail in the process!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts