Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buddy of mine is a big VW guy and has a guy he uses for car tunes. Would someone who can tune other cars be able to tune a diesel truck? Or would he not have to capability or knowledge of the Duramax and all the details of it?

·
Former GM Tech and parts
2,714 Posts
I think thats something you'd have to ask that person instead of us that know nothing about him. He has to have the right equipment, the knowledge of how it works, what needs modified to do what you the customer wants, as well as the knowledge to know if he is doing it correctly. And then the other side of it is- do YOU know enough to trust him to tune your truck, and possibly cost you an engine or transmission?

Reactions: Melonhead1102

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess what I meant is can someone who generally does tunes, do any of them.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Kind of like being a Proctologist and a Neurosurgeon. Both are doctors but would not want a Neurosurgeon working on my rear end or vice versa! :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha that's what I figured. I was skeptical when my VW buddy said his guy could tune my truck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Kind of like being a Proctologist and a Neurosurgeon. Both are doctors but would not want a Neurosurgeon working on my rear end or vice versa! :)
Brutal! But absolutely correct. It's completely different. There are many fundamental differences between the two engines and how they work which do not cross over.
It's a completely different set of parameters that you're looking for.
That being said there are numerous diesel tuners out there that have decades of experience who you can go to for time tested tuning profiles, all of which are much more affordable than purchasing a new engine.

So the short answer is absolutely no.

Also on a side note, diesel tuning and mechanics pay better than VW tuning and mechanics. So that fellow you know probably doesn't have the skills and expertise you want.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
260 Posts
Now if they tune TDI VW’s maybe, the engines work the same way. I had a buddy that tuned a lot of Duramaxes and then started tuning Audi diesels after he bought one and it wasn’t fast enough for him. Trying to find someone who tunes gas cars to tune a diesel, yeah, not such a good idea.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts