Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brand new ‘21 GMC LM2. 7,200 miles. Was scoping out what I needed to do for my upcoming oil change, I discovered this.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system Gas

Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Gas

Is that a crack in the casting? Before I proceeded messing with it gonna have the dealer take a look incase I need to use the warranty. Do you guys have the same grinding marks mine does?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Might just be a high spot. Should be able to feel it. Clean it good and take another pic. I have a similar area like that on my 19 oil cooler.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You could put some engine oil dye in it before you change the oil and let it run for 15/20 minutes and see if the dye shoes up. You will need a black light to see the dye, but they aren't very expensive at the parts store. I use mine all the time for different leaks. coolant. trans fluid p/s fluid a/c leaks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Nah, not a crack. Just looks like a high spot that has oil accumulated on it. As stated above clean it and take another pic. Your oil leak looks like it’s coming from the seal area.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Just looks like a casting mark from the form or a tooling mark, doesn’t look like a crack.

Your oil filter either wasn’t tight, was over tightened or missing a seal, actually might even still have the seal from the prior filter on still.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just looks like a casting mark from the form or a tooling mark, doesn’t look like a crack.

Your oil filter either wasn’t tight, was over tightened or missing a seal, actually might even still have the seal from the prior filter on still.
Generally the oil gushes right out if the other seal is on there. That is just the casting if I were to guess by looking at it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Generally the oil gushes right out if the other seal is on there. That is just the casting if I were to guess by looking at it.
Shouldn’t be any other seal on there. To my knowledge there’s been no oil changes on this truck, it only has 7k on it, unless the dealer took it upon themselves to actually drain and change factory fluids.

That’s really the only thing that had me worried it was a crack. If I knew it was done by a shop, I’d guarantee it was some lube tech over tightening shit. Didn’t realize in this day and age Id have to worry about the factory overtightening things to autistic gorilla standards.
Ill clean it up and monitor it and change the oil next week just to make sure.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Shouldn’t be any other seal on there. To my knowledge there’s been no oil changes on this truck, it only has 7k on it, unless the dealer took it upon themselves to actually drain and change factory fluids.

That’s really the only thing that had me worried it was a crack. If I knew it was done by a shop, I’d guarantee it was some lube tech over tightening shit. Didn’t realize in this day and age Id have to worry about the factory overtightening things to autistic gorilla standards.
Ill clean it up and monitor it and change the oil next week just to make sure.
I think your the first to go that far with a first oil change, not saying anythings wrong with it but most do the first early especially since it’s free.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think your the first to go that far with a first oil change, not saying anythings wrong with it but most do the first early especially since it’s free.
he’s probably just going by the DIC.

My dealer told me to come back at 25% or 5k for the first change

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well. I’ll be sure to post the oil analysis results when I do change it next week. I’ve only had one other new vehicle, changed oil as per manufacturer and never had so much as a hiccup. I took that Jeep through rivers and rock no issues. Thing was beat on by most people’s standards, still got 95% of my money back when I traded her in for this one.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
'Free' oil changes aren't 'free' -- they are just paid for in advance by the vehicle buyer.

Especially good for the GM when the buyer doesn't go to a dealer to get it done.
They get billed thru GM warranty if they are done at the dealer.

·
Registered
204 Posts
'Free' oil changes aren't 'free' -- they are just paid for in advance by the vehicle buyer.

Especially good for the GM when the buyer doesn't go to a dealer to get it done.
They get billed thru GM warranty if they are done at the dealer.
True but since GM baked it into the msrp and offers it, already paid for when you bought so might as well use it, they also bake in the $100 in rewards you get, might as well use them for the 2nd oil change.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks like a casting mark that’s dirty

what’s up with the oil running down the filter?
I’d say they cranked it on too tight on the filter and it’s pushing out when the oil pressure goes up. It’s definitely NOT loose. Haven’t done many pulls and haven’t hauled anything yet.
Just wanted to make sure it wasn’t coming out of a casting defect or something before cleaning it up or doing an oil change myself. That way I wouldn’t have to deal with a stealership trying to deflect and make things unnecessarily hard if it was a problem with the casting.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
True but since GM baked it into the msrp and offers it, already paid for when you bought so might as well use it, they also bake in the $100 in rewards you get, might as well use them for the 2nd oil change.
Yupp.
That was the point I was trying to make -- since already paid for, might as well be used.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I’d say they cranked it on too tight on the filter and it’s pushing out when the oil pressure goes up. It’s definitely NOT loose. Haven’t done many pulls and haven’t hauled anything yet.
Just wanted to make sure it wasn’t coming out of a casting defect or something before cleaning it up or doing an oil change myself. That way I wouldn’t have to deal with a stealership trying to deflect and make things unnecessarily hard if it was a problem with the casting.
Quick question, why didn’t you have the dealer do the first oil change, it’s free and they could of noted the leaking oil and possible casting defect if really an issue?

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
Looks like it has already had an oil change to me. I've never seen a new truck with an AC Delco label on the filter. The factory filter is usually just blue with no label. I bet the lube tech was in a hurry and made a mess.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Is it the same deal up north?
I'm not sure about the points thing for additional change, but yes, GM includes first oil change currently.

IIRC, when they started that program it was 4 changes.
Some dealers add extra changes (and of course bury cost in the deal)

I had a 2004 impala that ended up with 8 'included' changes. (4 gm, 4 dealer)

I had a 2016 truck that one of the GM's 'included' changes was done at at a dealer in the US (AZ) when we were on an extended trip. They also took care of an outstanding recall/update while it was in. (it had to do with Android Auto / Carplay)

Warranty coverage is supposed to includes both countries.
I also had a 2011 LML that had emissions system warranty work done while travelling in the US (TN).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts