Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Casting Issue?

3K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  redwngr 
#1 ·
Brand new ‘21 GMC LM2. 7,200 miles. Was scoping out what I needed to do for my upcoming oil change, I discovered this.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system Gas

Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Gas

Is that a crack in the casting? Before I proceeded messing with it gonna have the dealer take a look incase I need to use the warranty. Do you guys have the same grinding marks mine does?

See less See more
#2 ·
Might just be a high spot. Should be able to feel it. Clean it good and take another pic. I have a similar area like that on my 19 oil cooler.

#3 ·
You could put some engine oil dye in it before you change the oil and let it run for 15/20 minutes and see if the dye shoes up. You will need a black light to see the dye, but they aren't very expensive at the parts store. I use mine all the time for different leaks. coolant. trans fluid p/s fluid a/c leaks.

#14 ·
Looks like a casting mark that’s dirty

what’s up with the oil running down the filter?
I’d say they cranked it on too tight on the filter and it’s pushing out when the oil pressure goes up. It’s definitely NOT loose. Haven’t done many pulls and haven’t hauled anything yet.
Just wanted to make sure it wasn’t coming out of a casting defect or something before cleaning it up or doing an oil change myself. That way I wouldn’t have to deal with a stealership trying to deflect and make things unnecessarily hard if it was a problem with the casting.

#12 ·
'Free' oil changes aren't 'free' -- they are just paid for in advance by the vehicle buyer.

Especially good for the GM when the buyer doesn't go to a dealer to get it done.
They get billed thru GM warranty if they are done at the dealer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.