Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I failed emissions this month, I discovered the 2009 Silverado 2500HD LMM that I bought from a small dealer in Phoenix earlier this year is missing it's CAT and DPF. When I called them to complain, they accused me of removing it and said they had a passing emissions report to prove it wasn't them. I know I didn't remove it and a thief surely wouldn't add a nice looking stainless delete kit with muffler

I am now faced with purchasing these parts and putting them back on. I suspect I will also need to purchase EFI to re-enable the RegGen cycle. I see the pig tails are tucked under it, so I don't think it will be too difficult, but what I don't know is what puts the diesel down the system during regen, is there some other part I need to look for or do the injectors just dump fuel during the exhaust stroke?

In 6 months, I am moving to a small town that doesn't require emissions testing, so I hope to put the delete kit back in it, but until then, I need to get my tags renewed.

Denny

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just realized I double posted this. I searched all over for a delete button, any suggestions? 'uhNo

Denny

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,292 Posts
I would ask to see their dated report, with the VIN included...and then report their fake docs to the State.
Sry, but emissions testing on a Diesel when it doesn't involve a State Inspection due....kinda shifty I think. Who does that if there's no CEL? A used car lot? unlikely

or do the injectors just dump fuel during
This^....and it's also why you don't want to try extended use syn in it, as they tend to have some fuel dilution in the oil from the regen dump.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the quick reply. They did provide the passing form. I filed a complaint with Arizona Dept of Enviornmental Quality and was surprised they actually called me. They confirmed the truck passed, but found it interesting the test prior to the passing one it failed for the same reason I failed. Unfortunately, they said there wasn't much more they can do. I suspect this I-10 Premier Auto sales paid the guy at the emissions testing center to manually enter the VIN, then ran another truck through the opacity test.

I found a guy on Craigslist selling a full exhaust (CAT and DPF) with sensors for under 1K. Supposedly it only has 40K miles on it. I'm making the 3 hour drive now to get them.

Thank you for the information on how the ReGen cycle works on the LMM, now I just need to purchase an EFI tuner and hopefully I can pass this test.

Denny

·
Registered
231 Posts
Thank you for the quick reply. They did provide the passing form. I filed a complaint with Arizona Dept of Enviornmental Quality and was surprised they actually called me. They confirmed the truck passed, but found it interesting the test prior to the passing one it failed for the same reason I failed. Unfortunately, they said there wasn't much more they can do. I suspect this I-10 Premier Auto sales paid the guy at the emissions testing center to manually enter the VIN, then ran another truck through the opacity test.

I found a guy on Craigslist selling a full exhaust (CAT and DPF) with sensors for under 1K. Supposedly it only has 40K miles on it. I'm making the 3 hour drive now to get them.

Thank you for the information on how the ReGen cycle works on the LMM, now I just need to purchase an EFI tuner and hopefully I can pass this test.

Denny
You are experiencing first hand about what happens when buying a used diesel. Kind of sad but if I was buying a used one it would be checked by a dealer to ensure it was in compliance and to make sure that there was no history of it being "bubbized" in the GM system..

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
Have you considered registering your truck now to where you’ll be moving to soon?

·
Registered
447 Posts
it's also why you don't want to try extended use syn in it, as they tend to have some fuel dilution in the oil from the regen dump.
I didnt have any issues based on my blackstone lab reports. Granted, most of my reports were ~5k miles with only the last 'stock' report going to just under 9k miles so i guess i cant really argue(not the exact word i'm looking for) as i would define extended as anything above 8-10k miles leaning more towards 10k.

Per Blackstone Labs, the 'Values Should Be' for fuel % in the properties section of the reports i've received states "<2.0".

I have performed 5 total reports on my pickup during my ownership of it since 89k miles. 4 stock, 1 after delete. Trace, 3.0, <0.5 and 1.0, are the values that were given on my reports at mileages 95k, 110k, 115k, and 124k, respectively. The post-delete read <0.5 at 126k (the reason for the low mileage is due to my DIC telling me i had 2% oil life left and I wanted to play it safe/was curious how the report would turn out. The 3.0 reading was a cold oil change, i didnt let the engine warm up. The subsequent OCs were taken after running the engine a while, as was recommended by BL.

Given the large variability in my data, it appears how close you changed the oil to a regen plays a large factor. I do not have data on how close I was, though. All five reports were of me running Amsoil 5/40 oil.

The TBN values were 8.3, 7.8, 7.2, 6.8 and 5.7 respectively (last one being post-delete). Doesnt appear to be any correlation there but the flashpoint does appear to correlate, as one might expect, having a lower value when more fuel was present (410, 380, 415, 400, 420, respectively).

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,292 Posts
The propensity for this to occur is why the change to a 9th inj.

Not that it always happens, but it can leak past and into the oil below. Unless you're doing UOA to know for sure, it's best to just change it more often.
Take advantage of the yearly rebates offered and stick with the 1300, instead of the more costly brands.

Funny though, my LMM DIC % depletes much faster than my LBZ does.
Always assumed GM was accounting for the likelihood of fuel levels in the oil with the shorter cycles.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,292 Posts
0% on the LMM is 'bout 5k miles.
0% on the LBZ is right at 10k miles, and it tows more intervals and at higher weights when it does (a.k.a.- Used more)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did consider registering there, but I guess Missouri requires the emissions system to be checked when transferring an out of state vehicle in, so I figure I'm screwed either way.

I wonder if the truck would run okay, without throwing a check engine light, if I just installed the CAT and DPF and ran to emissions really fast, then remove it until I move and have to go through the Missouri inspection. Emissions is only 5 minutes from my house.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
Cat won’t cause a problem, in fact you wouldn’t notice any power, egt, boost differences with or without the cat.
What you will notice is the exhaust isn’t as stinky, that’s the emissions part with no sensors.
As far as the DPF being put back on and still tuned 'dunno;

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the quick reply. I suppose it's only a few hours work. If it's not raining in the morning I'll throw the parts on and make the trip to emissions and let everyone know.

Denny

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
Hopefully you have a scanner to clear codes if needed, it won’t pass if you have any trouble codes.
What part of Phx are you located ?

·
Registered
447 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm in Mesa, AZ.

The results are in and the truck passed emissions, .07 opacity. The loss of performance sure was noticeable and it didn't throw any check engine lights, so I guess I'm good until I move.

Thank you everyone,

Denny

·
Registered
372 Posts
I did consider registering there, but I guess Missouri requires the emissions system to be checked when transferring an out of state vehicle in, so I figure I'm screwed either way.

I wonder if the truck would run okay, without throwing a check engine light, if I just installed the CAT and DPF and ran to emissions really fast, then remove it until I move and have to go through the Missouri inspection. Emissions is only 5 minutes from my house.

Any thoughts?
Missouri only requires a safety inspection if you are outside the greater STL area. You can Google what counties around the STL area require emissions. The safety check will look to see if the EGR and cat are in place. The inspections makes no mention of the DPF. FYI, Dean

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
I'm in Mesa, AZ.

The results are in and the truck passed emissions, .07 opacity. The loss of performance sure was noticeable and it didn't throw any check engine lights, so I guess I'm good until I move.

Thank you everyone,

Denny
:thumb
Good to hear you gots’er passed.
Just keep the parts incase you ever need to put it back to stock for emissions law changes or selling it.

Curious did you connect all sensors on the DPF and leave your delete tune in ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts