Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Reign in Blood
4,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new CAT truck is here! I cant wait to spot one on the road...too bad they only put a max of 475 c13 in it though...but it is twin sequential turbo lol

·
Doin it...
1,278 Posts
Post a pic of what it looks like! I never even heard of this and i'm at my CAT dealer once a week!!

·
the world famous
697 Posts
interesting..

·
Reign in Blood
4,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i heard about this years ago when i heard that CAT was gonna get out of the OTH engine business...originally they were going to use navicrap engines, guess that went by the wayside. f the epa revive the 3406b!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I saw one going down I-70 in Maryland the other week, the first and only one I've seen on the road in person. The C-13's are alright, we run them in some dump trucks, but I love my 3406 E. It'll be even better after it gets turned up this weekend!

·
Reign in Blood
4,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I saw one going down I-70 in Maryland the other week, the first and only one I've seen on the road in person. The C-13's are alright, we run them in some dump trucks, but I love my 3406 E. It'll be even better after it gets turned up this weekend!
yeah the e's are when they really started getting into the 600+ category with their big motors...funny thing is, the c15 is pretty much the same thing only with some extra computer gadgets on it...but boy do those canadians sure wring the power out of those things for the rodeo du cameon...its always coga (gagnon) vs bouchard in the end lol...2000+hp CATs and talk about rolling coal:drink

oh and they pull the wheels too:

·
I'm That Guy...
16,694 Posts
Read this link..

http://videos.drivecat.com/overviewcontent/OH Engine BrochureSPREADS.pdf

The CT engine is NOT really a Cat engine unfortunately, I understand this was due to federal emissions requirements. This engine is manufactured / sourced from a 3rd party.

I imagine this will change quickly.

Parts WILL be available through the local Cat dealer, have Cat part #s, etc... This is a tested engine, but is not the same as your c13, c15, etc...

·
Reign in Blood
4,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CATs rollin coal?

·
Reign in Blood
4,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Read this link..

http://videos.drivecat.com/overviewcontent/OH Engine BrochureSPREADS.pdf

The CT engine is NOT really a Cat engine unfortunately, I understand this was due to federal emissions requirements.

I imagine this will change quickly.

Parts WILL be available through the local Cat dealer, have Cat part #s, etc... This is a tested engine, but is not the same as your c13, c15, etc...
i read the brochure earlier im not sure what you mean though? Am I missing something? looks like they are redesigned engines possibly loosely based on the last generation...maybe not lol

·
Registered
227 Posts
you can get bigger hp out of a C-15 if you put a C-13 ECM on it, they dont have all te limiting stuff that the C-15 ECMs have. I'm a huge CAT fan, but havent been real impressed with the C-13's. Granted my experience is only with then in an auto shift truck, which suck by the way. We've turned dump trucks up with C-12's and C-13's, and the standard shift C-12's will out pull and flat out smoke a turned up C-13 auto shift. That being said to the defense, I know the auto shifts will only allow so much torque to go through them, another reason I hate them besides being slow shifting and searching for gears, and not always wanting to go in gear.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,694 Posts
i read the brochure earlier im not sure what you mean though? Am I missing something? looks like they are redesigned engines possibly loosely based on the last generation...maybe not lol
Unfortunately not, they are provided from another manufacturer.

I would guess, but do not know for sure they will have a Cat engine soon enough though. I was told this was due to emissions.

I understand Cat ET doesn't connect to these trucks either, they use a different tool from their manufacturer.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,694 Posts
you can get bigger hp out of a C-15 if you put a C-13 ECM on it, they dont have all te limiting stuff that the C-15 ECMs have. I'm a huge CAT fan, but havent been real impressed with the C-13's. Granted my experience is only with then in an auto shift truck, which suck by the way. We've turned dump trucks up with C-12's and C-13's, and the standard shift C-12's will out pull and flat out smoke a turned up C-13 auto shift. That being said to the defense, I know the auto shifts will only allow so much torque to go through them, another reason I hate them besides being slow shifting and searching for gears, and not always wanting to go in gear.
Have you discussed your complaints with the local dealer? There may be upgrade options available depending on your setup.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Its not the motor, its something that Eaton does. We went to a class for them, and have the software from eaton to change some of the settings in the trans. As for the not going into gear, a lot of that is the clutch. A lot of our trucks came through with the self adjusting clutches made for the auto shifts. They work alright for a little, but we've been putting reagular clutches in them, and they seem to be working better. Call me old fashioned, but I'd rather have a stick coming through the floor than pushing a button. A straight stick doesnt go bad as easy as an X Y shifter.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I believe the new cat motors are basically an International motor painted yellow, just the truck is basically an international truck. I know Cat and International were working on a deal before all the emissions stuff came along, because it was looking like the only truck you'd be able to get a cat motor in was an International, but that all went south with the emissions stuff.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,694 Posts
I believe the new cat motors are basically an International motor painted yellow, just the truck is basically an international truck. I know Cat and International were working on a deal before all the emissions stuff came along, because it was looking like the only truck you'd be able to get a cat motor in was an International, but that all went south with the emissions stuff.
Cat likes to get into joint ventures, like the one they did with Navistar.

You are on the right track with the engine, but Cat and the Cat dealers have been putting the necessary training in place to support the new trucks and engines.

As any new product does, there may be a few issues at first, but all the feedback I heard on field follows was positive.

I hope Cat eventually expands to long haul OTH trucks, I would like to see what they can get on the market.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Haha! Explain that to me.... More hp from a C15 if you put a C13 ecm on it.... best thing I ever heard

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
The best motor we have, or have ever had really all around is the C-15 6NZ single turbo plant. More reliable than the N14 and IS series cummins and the detroits in our experience, and get better mileage to boot. Both have over 1.25 million on them, have not had a major rebuild or issue yet.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts