Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay gents, got an EPA/ AzDOT/legal question for you. When I go in for emissions, the guys check for the CAT and actually record its presence in the computer. IF I actually remove it, and they check NO on the system, will I get fined or have to pay any additional fees? What does it really mean to them if it's there or not but I'm still passing the opacity test well below the average?

Before someone jumps down my throat about what the CAT does, it converts unburnt hydrocarbons and CO into CO2 and H2O. Removing it means I'm spewing more smog inducing gas out of my tailpipe and contributing to CO poisoning.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Even if you pass the opacity test, if they see you don't have one on a visual inspection, they will fail your emissions test. I don't believe there are any fines, you just won't be able to renew your registration.

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
Yes on the above visual only and the opacity test and your allowed only one free retest after the first fail, just had mine tested prior to purchase and it passed. FYI, the State/County allows you to do the inspection 90 days prior to expriration of the tags, keep that in mind for next year.

My 2006 truck has a 8year 80,000 mile emission warranty from the manufacturer mandated by the Feds, good luck to me ever forcing the dealer to make good on it.

JT PM me back,...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts