Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at adding a remote mount cat 2 micron filter down on the frame rail, but I'm not sure if the CP3 will be ok pulling fuel through two filters. Right now I'm only running the 70 HP tune on my edge and I don't plan on going bigger until I have to rebuild the allison, so will the CP3 keep up or will I need a lift pump with this setup?

If anybody has any experience with a similar setup I'd love to hear how it worked out.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
A lift pump like the Air Dog is always a plus. It adds filtration and helps your CP3 and injectors last longer.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I had the money for an airdog or a fass I would definitely go that route but right now I don't see that happening.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you . I think I'm gonna try to build a lift pump and filtering system myself the cat filters are cheap and the filter heads are only like $25 ea so I'm thinking I could build a better set up for around $350 with one of those holley fuel pumps . If I ever get brave enough to try it I'll be sure to post up what I did and how it works .

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My thought was to do the filter now, as long as it's not gonna strain or hurt the CP3, and then down the road add a raptor 150 or something similar. On the Holley pumps I've heard mixed reviews over the years, the big thing with it would be whether or not fuel can flow through it when it's off, so that if it dies you can still drive.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I thought about the flow thru design issue as well but I figured worse case scenario I could throw a piece of bypass hose in the truck or even tape up the ends of the bypass hose and zip tie it right to the frame next to the pump and use it if the pump ever went belly up on me . But I think the holley pump I'm considering is a flow through design .

·
Registered
370 Posts
So just going to throw this out there, but why would you do it that way? Why not buy the adaptor and just have one fuel filter that is a 2micron in the normal spot? Not sure what your remote fuel filter setup is going to cost but the adaptor can't be much more.

In my setup I run two fuel filters....one on my lift pump(2 micron) and another in the stock location on the filter head (also 2 micron with an adaptor). the one on the filter head is a back up incase my lift pump fails and the fuel free flows pass that filter. Both of which are the Cat filters at $15.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I'd do it that way for extra water and fuel filtration . Then if the lift pump had to be bypassed for some reason I could prime the system with the stock filter head And keep driving Overkill I'm sure but with an LB7 you can never have to much filtration .lol. I just think I could build a comparable set up to a fass or ADII for half the money .i think $600 is insane for a lift pump and filter assy plus I'm a fleet parts supplier so I know I could get everything at cost except maybe the Holley pump .

·
Banned
1,104 Posts
You still keep the priming bulb with the CAT adapter. If you're worried about water separation then use the Donelson fuel filter with separator. It has the same threads as the CAT 1R-749 and 750. I can't recall the Donelson number off the top of my head though.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
124 Posts
In the mean time until you get a lift pump, why don't you get the "Nicktane" adapter that allows you to run a CAT filter on your factory head unit. I think they are $99.00. When you do eventually get the LP, you can delete the factory head unit altogether.......if you want to. I did that, and run the 2 micron CAT filter on my AirDog II 165 lift pump.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Bub your truck has 240K on it. You've got some good wear on it and throwing on a second filter instead of just saving for a liftpump that also has filters attached to it is silly. Kinda like starting antibiotics once you're on your death bed instead of just taking the liver transplant you really need. Just wait and get an AD. You're truck isn't gonna explode and you're money will be better spent.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I know I'm just being overly cautious .. After the a$$ reaming I got replacing the injectors and CP3 I'm out of money for an ADII and I wanna make it overkill for my own piece of mind lol

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Hey gear jammer sorry to hijack your thread

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have considered running the nicktane adapter, but with the cat filter you don't get a water separator, and with the donaldson you only get filtration to 3 microns, the stock replacement racor filters, filter to 4 microns and still provide a water separator. Also the nicktane adapter is $99, not much, but the remote mount filter head is $20 at napa, makes it kinda hard for me to spend $99.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey gear jammer sorry to hijack your thread
Don't worry about it.:thumb

mcle6103, I have thought about just waiting until these injectors fail, and then throwing an airdog on the truck when I do the new injectors. I'm just thinking about making a preemptive strike on the fuel system.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I built a pre filter setup using the cat filter on my buddys 02 and it has no lift pump and still runs perfect. So it has the same setup your asking about.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts