Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this true??

A mechanic told me that I have to run my catalytic converter on my truck because the specific model I have. He says it will alter the computer and make the truck run poorly. Is he is full of POOP??

He says that the catalytic converter is about 2k at the dealership if I remove it.

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
remove it
it is better for your engine..those things are restrictive hes feeding u a line of BS

·
Premium Member
242 Posts

·
The Good Son!
1,966 Posts

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
I have one ill sell you for $1500 shipped to your door if you need one!
I would remove it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, thats what I thought too, I am sure he was just lazy or just did not want to take it off.
I have been to a couple muffler shops, they refuse to remove it because of the emmisions.

·
Registered
477 Posts
yeah, thats what I thought too, I am sure he was just lazy or just did not want to take it off.
I have been to a couple muffler shops, they refuse to remove it because of the emmisions.
If your truck came with one, legally you have to keep it on, however, if it's for "off-road" use only, go for it!

·
Registered
33 Posts
that was the second thing i did to my truck when i got it home new and 50k miles later its still runnin great. i bought the delete pipe and put the catalytic in the barn if i ever need to put it on

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Will the delete pipe bolt up to a stock exhaust?

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,953 Posts
Muffler shops cannot alter emmisions equipment by law. You however can remove it. I think mine was on my truck for a week. It would have been shorter but I had to wait for shipping after I bought it...LOL

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
how easy/hard was it to install yourself?

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,953 Posts
Pretty easy to do a Downpipe back exhaust system. You just need a socket set, jack and some kind of saw and the general knowledge of how to use it.I am not sure about the cat delete pipe. I just did the whole thing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If your truck came with one, legally you have to keep it on, however, if it's for "off-road" use only, go for it!
come on....how many here have it for "off-road" use only. :rof

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,953 Posts
I can guarantee my exhaust stays off the road that is why I hung it from the bottom of the truck...LOL

Reactions: 2004silverAYDO

·
Registered
291 Posts
Bought mine on a Saturday, Piped it the following Tuesday.

·
Registered
33 Posts
the cat delete was real easy there are two flanges it bolts in to i think it was a little over a hundred bucks. i would rather have a full system but i must be getting old - i like the quiet

·
Registered
13 Posts
Rid of Cat Converter

Just switched from stock exhaust to MGRP Off Road setup. Took about 3 hours total. Not too hard (except for that stupid mounting plate bolt between crossbar and tranny). Removed the converter as well. The MGRP muffler is about 1/3 size the original muffler, but not very much louder. Maybe a little louder but it's pleasantly bearable. No codes thrown.

I consider anything the government regulates, a de-tune. Remove the cat and let that engine breathe.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
If you are in a area that requires emission inspection, better keep it handy for the next emission test.

I am in CA, so mine is still on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm in Florida. Luckily they nixed emissions testing over a decade ago. The state was losing $ doing emissions tests. If a state has emissions regulation, i won't live there.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts