Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #61
Got a couple of hours this afternoon to work on it. Hopefully tomorrow I can get it all set up and assembled, ready to swap out.
I was going to try and finish it tonight, but I started drinking instead. >:)

Attachments

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #62
I got the front diff assembled yesterday and started to swap them out. Ended up having to swap yokes, after I got it in I figured out that my 16 has a bigger u joint than the 12 I got the diff from.'dunno;

The truck has a different feel in four wheel drive with the torsen style posi in the rear. I went out in the dirt by my house and was doing some tight turns and the front was doing it鈥檚 normal hopping and then the rear started hopping as well. The g80 never did that. I am going to like this setup.:grin2:

Attachments

Registered
I got the front diff assembled yesterday and started to swap them out. Ended up having to swap yokes, after I got it in I figured out that my 16 has a bigger u joint than the 12 I got the diff from.'dunno;

The truck has a different feel in four wheel drive with the torsen style posi in the rear. I went out in the dirt by my house and was doing some tight turns and the front was doing it鈥檚 normal hopping and then the rear started hopping as well. The g80 never did that. I am going to like this setup.:grin2:
Very nice, are you losing the cruise control by installing this? And any issues with your ABS light coming on?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #64
Everything works as it鈥檚 supposed to. I did have to get the speedo recalibrated in the tuning, but it is right on now, according to gps.

Registered
Everything works as it鈥檚 supposed to. I did have to get the speedo recalibrated in the tuning, but it is right on now, according to gps.
I forget that the LML's still had hand held tuners, there is a rumor that one might be coming to the L5P trucks. Not sure how now that the EPA is fining anyone that tunes half way decent.

What's next?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #66
I have a little maintenance planned for this week.

Registered
Nice chris, Oil, fuel, transmission, and air. I like the powerdriven filters. I have one the competition truck.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #68
Nice chris, Oil, fuel, transmission, and air. I like the powerdriven filters. I have one the competition truck.
That鈥檚 good to hear about the powerdriven filters, I was tired of spending $65 on the s&b dry every 18mos., so I thought I try them. How have you been Nic?

Registered
Youll be happy. Oh you know Corona virus shut down my business, on unemployment for the first time ever, working on my 17th "meal replacement shake" tonight after cleaning up the shop and working on my raptor. Currently making fried pickles lol. Going to get up tomorrow and take the ole stihl out and cut some new paths. How bout you man?

Registered
馃構馃構馃槑

Attachments

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #71
I have been able to work from home through all this. Hopefully unemployment isn鈥檛 too bad once the extra $600 a week kicks in, and hopefully we get back to some sort of normal fairly soon. I鈥檓 going to do some things to the truck, house and rv over the next couple of weeks and then load up and go camping for a while.

Registered
I sure as shit hope so. They are supposedly going to come real close to matching your check a week for unemployment. What i got this week was barely a 1/4. Thats a good idea man. Go camping get away from this shit. Were in the middle of nowhere on a private road in the sticks. We have left to get groceries twice and beer once the last 4 weeks.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #74
Put on a fancy new air filter today, along with some other stuff.馃榿
53AE676C-0503-42B9-9282-17557A417138.jpeg

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #75
Been working on organizing the shop. Started putting together wash/detailing cart.
AE32979F-F316-4A64-B154-C1367F7C911C.jpeg

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #76
I am waiting on a few parts that are supposed to be here tomorrow. I already have the low beams and high beams and waiting on the fog lights and turn signals.

For low beams I went with a kit that uses Morimoto BI-XENON: MINI D2S 5.0 projectors, Morimoto D2H 5500k HID bulbs and Hylux ballasts.

For the high beams and fog lights I went with the Morimoto 2stroke 2.0 led鈥檚 with a 5700k rating.

The turn signals and hyper flash resistors are also Morimoto, amber in color.

Looking forward to getting this done.:grin2:
So I wanted to do follow up on how this project has gone since I got everything installed. First of all the install was pretty straight forward on the projectors and high beams, but I had to do some modifications to get the fog light led鈥檚 to go in with the right orientation.

After the install everything seemed great, I liked the light output and the matching color of the bulbs. Then I started to notice some issues with the low beams. At first it seemed like it was only an issue with the drl system, but then it started happening at night as well.

The problem was that sometimes one bulb would not ignite. Sometimes it was the right bulb and sometimes it was the left. The right did it more often. Then every once and a while neither one would light. If I turned the switch off and then all the way to the on position, which ever light was out would usually start. Sometimes it would take a couple of tries, but I could always get both on.

As soon as I got a chance I removed the grill and both front fender liners so I could get to everything and started checking everything out. I went step by step through the instructions for the install, I checked all the connections, I googled it and I went through retrofit solutions faq鈥檚. I couldn鈥檛 find a reason why the lights weren鈥檛 working correctly.

I put it back together and started researching the low beam and drl systems a little closer, the only thing I found was that the drl system was a pulsed system. It pulses 12 volts so the bulb sees a lower continuous voltage and isn鈥檛 as bright as when the regular low beams are on. That got me to thinking that maybe the lower voltage wouldn鈥檛 let the igniters in the Hylux ballasts fire consistently.

Thinking I have this figured out I ordered the Morimoto relays and harness (very nice stuff) and proceed to take the truck apart again. Install is plug n play and only takes about an hour. Now I鈥榤 stoked that I got this fixed these lights have been bugging the shit out me. I hated driving down the road not knowing if one my lights was out. I test it with everything still apart and it works perfect, I put the truck back together and start her up, turn the lights on and one isn鈥檛 working. That was it for that day.

After more research, and looking closely at the components I had already installed and a couple of conversations with the guys at retrofit solutions, I started wondering about the canbus components built into the Hylux ballasts knowing my truck doesn鈥檛 have a canbus system. I talked with a couple of people about it and they said it shouldn鈥檛 make a difference. Being the trusting person I am and not knowing what else to do, I ordered new 35 watt Morimoto ballasts without canbus and the igniter is at the end of the bulb adapter instead of in the ballast like the Hylux.

So a few weeks later I take the front of the truck apart again, which I now am pretty good at, and switch out the ballasts. With the front end still apart I turn the key on and turn the light switch on and only one light comes on. Time for a Saturday morning beer. After calming down I decided to try switching components from one side to the other. After trying a few different combinations I determine that one of the new Morimoto ballasts is bad. I put everything back together with one Hylux and one Morimoto ballast. I put the Morimoto one on the passenger side since it was the one giving me the most grief and it has worked flawLesley ever since. I still need to get the other one changed out as it is still acting up, but not near as bad.

After all that I am still not exactly sure what caused the issue and maybe my truck was being finicky, but I think the pulsed voltage was not playing well with the ballasts and maybe caused them to not work correctly even after I put the relays in, or the ballasts just weren鈥檛 right from the beginning (which I think is unlikely because other kits I have seen use the same Hylux ballasts). The one thing I do know for sure is that these HID鈥檚 have a lot better output and better color than the factory headlights. To be continued when I switch out the other ballast.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #77
Truck has been acting up the last week or so. This morning it wouldn鈥檛 start so I got a battery load tester and two new ACDelco AGM鈥榮. Put the old ones on the charger for the day and checked them this evening. The passenger side battery dropped like a rock as soon as I hit the switch on the tester. I鈥檓 hoping to get more than 3.5 years out of the new ones, so we鈥檒l see.
F923DEA7-8CA5-4828-9D28-206C5E74A22F.jpeg

61 - 77 of 77 Posts