Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This message has been coming across my DIC the last 2 days.
It happened each time I stopped and restarted the truck. One time it happened while running after I reset it to 100%.

The odd thing is, the filter was just replaced last month. Might have 1k miles on it.

Truck runs normal..no lights.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't be the only person this happened too.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Maybe you got some bad fuel, or one of your fuel lines is kinked a little. Check the lines going into your fuel filter and coming out of it. Mine were soft when I deleted my factor filter.

·
Registered
897 Posts
My truck flashed the Change Fuel Filter message one time before I had my lift pump when I got on it on my 150 tune from Rob.

·
Registered
362 Posts
May be a dumb question but was the filter life reset after the filter was changed a month ago?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It keeps doing it but runs normal. No check engine lights. No nothing. It comes on and says 0% life left. I reset it to 100% and it's fine...until I turn it off and restart.

What happens if water in fuel is detected by the sensor? Does that set the message alert?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
May be a dumb question but was the filter life reset after the filter was changed a month ago?
Yes, it's been 100% fine since then. It was odd that I did just make a 1k mile trip and the percentage did not drop at all.

·
Registered
362 Posts
So it keeps going back to 0% after every time you turn off truck and restart? Never seen that. Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge will jump in.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So it keeps going back to 0% after every time you turn off truck and restart? Never seen that. Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge will jump in.
correct, right to 0%. Once yesterday, it did it while driving.

The efilive and filter where done at the same time.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
@shore, I have read your post about the "change fuel filter" message that you are experiencing with your truck. You posted that the fuel filter was changed about 1,000 miles ago; did you do this yourself or did the dealership do it? I have read that others have provided you with ideas of what might be going on with your vehicle, but I was curious if you have talked with any other mechanics for their opinion of what is going on.

Please, don't get me wrong. I am not implying that you need to take the truck to the dealership, but curious as to what information, if any, other technicians have told you about this.

I hope you have a great day and get the answers that you need to your situation.

Michelle, GM Customer Service

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A diesel mechanic did the efilive and the filter at the same time. These things come to mind,

1..I'm fairly positive when he did the filter, he did not reset the light as it was reset when we went for a test drive. Not sure how that happened.

2..The filter % countdown not changing over that 1k mile trip got me concerned so I reset when I got home to see if it would start to count down. No DIC light showing up then or after.

3..I did put some seafoam in with the last half tank of diesel. The DIC popped on a day or so later. I only put about 3oz in with 8 gallons of diesel.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well. it's still doing it. You reset the filter to 100% and as you drive you can watch it count down 98 96 94 etc etc until 0. Almost a like counting seconds but it does it in 2's. Does it everytime.

I have no idea what's wrong. It runs fine. No CEL lights.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Mine did that when I was having problems with it sucking air through the primer plunger. After I replaced the filter head I haven't had it come on.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mine did that when I was having problems with it sucking air through the primer plunger. After I replaced the filter head I haven't had it come on.
I have no idea what that is. I had this filter done when my tune was done and it's been wacked since.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I wonder if this is a problem with the 06 or something. I have an 06 LBZ like you that i bought used about 5 months ago. the day i bought it the fuel filter DIC said to change it. i told the dealership i got it from and they said they put a new one in but they couldn't get the DIC to reset. i got the manual out and reset it myself. it started counting down normally, not fast like yours, but in like 2 days it would completely reset itself back to 100%. It kept doin it for a while. I changed my fuel filter myself and actually haven't noticed it reset itself after i reset it. It's down around 89% i think and still doin ok. Never took it in to see what the problem was. I'm just gonna change my filter around every 10k so i dont have to rely on the DIC. Hope you get yours figured out.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Happened a few times on my LMM after just changing it, turns out I got a bad load of fuel. Mine would say 100% then if I stomped on it it would hesitate, drop to 0% and give me the message to change filter. I would try changing it again to see if it helps. Mine was fine after the last filter change. I had a dealer check it out to see why it was happening, they did a vacuum test with the old filter(about 2 months old) and the new. Vacuum was way down on the new. Their explanation was a bad batch of fuel that plugged the filter up, since its worked good since it must have been the problem.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I put seafoam in once and it plugged my filter up trying to race a cummins. I run PS now and never looked back. IMO seafoam is for gas engines.

·
Registered
249 Posts
thats strange. my truck always used to flash change fuel filter. even after i would go buy a new filter. the light would come on like 5 mins later..... ever since i installed m lift pump on monday. it hasnt said it yet ......(knock on wood)

·
AKA treyfox11
2,250 Posts
On the lmm when the rail pressure drops below a certain point the ECM freaks and sets this " change fuel filter " it thinks that the filter is clogged and that's why its loosing rail pressure instead of the real reason of using all the pressure fast because of a bigger tune than stock . Might try shimming your rail , installing a lift pump and see where that takes you

1 - 20 of 46 Posts