Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2019 and I am getting a change oil filter message on the DIC with only 4400 miles on the truck, both my 2009 and 2013 usually went 7500+- between warnings. Is this normal?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ive never seen that message. I change my oil at 30-40% oil life. I am over 30k on my 2018. I seem to remember reading a complaint about the oil life meter on the 19s going down fast. I think it was a software thing. Do a search here and it should come up.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Pretty sure the DIC just goes off of miles/ time to calculate the %. Happened to my buddy that bought a new 2019 back in November. Since you're at 4400/ oil prolly been in the truck for over a year i would just change it out and reset the DIC and be on your way. Nothing yo be alarmed about.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
I just bought a 2019 and I am getting a change oil filter message on the DIC with only 4400 miles on the truck, both my 2009 and 2013 usually went 7500+- between warnings. Is this normal?
DIC uses lots more that just miles and time.

But yes, they new ones seem to countdown even if they are not being used.

It doesn't 'test' the oil.
It is based on usage only, and it assumes that the oil used meets the recommended spec.

I'd expect that if you use the truck like the '09 and '13 it will countdown at a similar rate.

The Dmax supplements to OM recommend changing the oil at least once a year, regardless of the DIC %.
We used to see posts questioning why OLM calculation didn't include the 'one year' as part if it's recommendation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's the thing I use the truck exactly like the 2013 and it went between 7500-9000 miles to hit 0% oil filter. I am hoping it is an anomaly because that would have me changing my oil every three months or so.

·
Registered
210 Posts
That's the thing I use the truck exactly like the 2013 and it went between 7500-9000 miles to hit 0% oil filter. I am hoping it is an anomaly because that would have me changing my oil every three months or so.
I change mine every 3 weeks at times, if it's time, it's time. I would have already changed the oil on that new one and not waited for the oil life indicator, it deserves it.

Why not just change it and move on. Maybe the next change indicated by the computer will be a little farther out than the first one.

If it continues to trigger prior to 5000 miles, then I might assume there could be an issue.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ive never seen that message. I change my oil at 30-40% oil life. I am over 30k on my 2018. I seem to remember reading a complaint about the oil life meter on the 19s going down fast. I think it was a software thing. Do a search here and it should come up.

Might have been the DEF percentage I was thinking of that was dropping too quick. To the OP, does your oil life say it is at zero? 3-4 months is about how long it takes mine to get to 30 percent or so.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Do you know when it was built?

·
Registered
75 Posts
My 2018 only has 2,095 miles and I changed the oil to full synthetic at 1500 miles and the DIC is telling me to change again. I don't feel like dumping the synthetic oil just because it's been sitting. Less that 1500 miles on the new oil.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
My 2018 only has 2,095 miles and I changed the oil to full synthetic at 1500 miles and the DIC is telling me to change again. I don't feel like dumping the synthetic oil just because it's been sitting. Less that 1500 miles on the new oil.
Has it been a year since it was changed?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Don’t. Just reset the oil monitor. I change at 7500 miles.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Yes but I'm just going to reset the Dic instead of dumping good oil.
Maintenance schedule suggests at least once per year.

Used to be some complaints that the OLM was ignoring the once per year recommendation for low mileage vehicles.

Seems like maybe GM does read some of the forums and has changed the algorithm.

FWIW, I probably wouldn't change it with 500 miles on it either. AT 2100 miles, I'd probably still be on factory fill.
I also wouldn't be using an oil that is sold for extended drain intervals.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Don’t. Just reset the oil monitor. I change at 7500 miles.
why not truck has 2895 total miles. I already changed it once am I supposed to drive it when it keeps telling me to change the oil or just keep changing the oil even though I'm not putting any miles on it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts