Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a K&N Blackhawk cold air intake for my 08 lmm and I keep getting code p0101 and reduced engine power because of the maf sensor. Is there a way in efi live to change the filter from a stock square to an aftermarket round cold air filter so it'll calibrate to the new air flow?

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
I bought a K&N Blackhawk cold air intake for my 08 lmm and I keep getting code p0101 and reduced engine power because of the maf sensor. Is there a way in efi live to change the filter from a stock square to an aftermarket round cold air filter so it'll calibrate to the new air flow?
You don't have much info on your truck, do you already have EFI ?
Have you tried cleaning the MAF sensor? Be careful and do NOT touch the sensor below the mounting holes.
Hold it from the top where the screws hold it in place, spray with only MAF sensor cleaner and reinstall.
If you already have a EFI tuner they should be able to re-calibrate the MAF for more airflow thru tuning.
I'm assuming you have the K&N cold air intake, it's not real clear in your post.
Unfortunally K&N is well known for causing P0101 codes because of to much air flow.
Your EFI tuner (if you have one) should be able to correct the problem for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have already cleaned the maf sensor thinking that was the problem. I do have efi live and the k&n filter already installed. I guess my question is what are the parameters and where exactly do I change them in efi live to compensate for the increased air flow with the new air filter?

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Did you write your own tunes or go thru a EFI tuner???
Your looking for answers but your vague on what all you have.
Include a sig at the bottom like 90 + % of the members have.
If you did your own tuning, thats above my knowledge.
I don't mess with something like writing my own tunes, when I don't know anything about it.
I leave that up to the people that do it for a living.
If you went thru a EFI tuner, you'll need to contact that person/tuner for him to make adjustments to the tuning.
I know factory MAF g/s max would be about 42 @ idle, above that you'll get the code.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Get rid of the junk oiled filter and get a dry paper filter. I've seen this happen on several duramaxs with just adding an oiled filter.

·
Administrator
19,346 Posts
Clean your MAF with MAF cleaner, don't use any other cleaner.

If you continue to have an issue you can adjust the flow rates, but it would require a tuner data logging your truck and doing some adjusting.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Get rid of the junk oiled filter and get a dry paper filter. I've seen this happen on several duramaxs with just adding an oiled filter.
Your right, except most of those problems are because of the K&N's quality that does not hold up well to turbo powered engines and people over oiling.
I use oiled air filters in every vehicle I own (5) I do use K&N in my NON turbo engines and aFe proguard 7 in my turbo diesel.
The big difference is I know how to oil the filters, which is lightly oiled.
Never a problem.
Even the instructions tell you this, but most people ignore the warning and over oil anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.