Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry this is gonna be a long post but im only 20 so i dont have alot of money to play with and i'd hate to mess anything up in this process so i need all the information and advice i can get. Im confident i can do it since i have lots of experience working on stuff just not turbos I gotta change my turbo in my truck and i have finally decided that im just gonna do it myself. First off, does anyone know what all that i'll need to do the job. I wanna get everything i need before i start like gaskets and anything else. I bought a used stock ihi turbo on here a couple months ago and its seems good to me. Then i got a turbo rebuild kit from a company called spturboost on ebay for $60. I havnt pulled apart the turbo or anything yet cause im not sure what to do with it exactly but i just figured id rebuild it before i put it in the truck that way i wont have to worry again about it. I also figured id put a batmowheel in too while i have the turbo sitting there so if anyone knows anything about this your help would be really appreciated. Then i need to know what all i'll get into pulling the old turbo out and putting my new one back in. Anything anyone can tell will be very appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also my truck is an 2001 lb7. Has about 280k on it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got the truck about 6 months ago pretty cheap but it wasnt too bad for an old beat up 01 with almost 300,000 miles. It didnt run very good at all when i got it compared to my dads 03 duramax dump truck which was kinda dissapointing but i was excited and it was all i could afford and i thought it just needed a new air filter and fuel filter etc. but after i got it i replaced every filter on it and got a 5" mbrp then an s&b intake flo pro airhorn and ppe boost valve and it still dont run right. Its not tuned and blows a ton of excessive black smoke. I got an insight and it shows that my truck has no boost unless the truck is running really hard then i get maybe a pound. I dont think the cold side is bad for that reason. I finally figured out that the problem is the flap attached to the waste gate on the hotside inside the turbo. If i take the clip of the wastegate i can spin the rod that goes in a full 360 degrees

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya to the best of my knowledge i have checked everything and havnt found any holes or boost leaks. I tightened all the clamps and such. But i do know that all of my boost is blowing out of the exhaust cause the metal flap inside is busted off. Idt i can pressure test the rest of it until my new turbo is in

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I have heard of that flap breaking on several turbos. Could very well be the cause of your problems if you already ruled out leaks in the system.

Read throught his thread and you should get a good idea on how to pull the turbo apart. Really isn't to hard. http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/turbos-stock-aftermarket/152369-porting-polishing-ihi.html

Removing the turbo isn't overly complicated but can be rather difficlult. Straight forward when you look at it though. Make sure you clean up around the oil return and replace the oil return with a new gasket or you will be tearing the whole thing apart again to fix the massive leak.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the input. I ordered my batmowheel tonight and im gonna try to get my gaskets tomorrow or saturday. When i get every thing rounded up im gonna rip into. Im half tempted to try the port and polish now too after readin through that thread

1 - 8 of 8 Posts