Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Premium Member

Registered
from my experience the factory hitches rust out quick. Im sure rust helps it fail, I think its a good idea to change it out

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
A guy in town has the hitch in my previous post in stock and will install tomorrow morning for $310 installed. I'm leaving tomorrow at 1pm for a camping trip, so this fits my schedule and wallet just fine. Thanks for the suggestions.

Premium Member
are late model hitches still problematic or just earlier ones?

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
From what I have read, they have added a plate to make the OEM suck less. There is still lots of flex to it, especially when hooked up to a WD hitch system. I had it explained to me as trying to lift a loaded wheel borrow that has rubber handles. Just by looking at it, it seems to be a inferior product compared to Reese, Curt, etc.

Registered
Good idea to replace (if you tow over 7k lbs).

Save some $$ and get more capacity, look at the
Curt Class V
15512 / LB 2001-2010 CHEVY GMC SILVERADO SIERRA 2500HD & 3500 | eBay
or
15521 / SB 2001-2010 CHEVY GMC SILVERADO SIERRA 2500 & 3500 HITCH | eBay
I just got the curt 15521 and its a nice hitch. the only thing i dont like is i have a oversize spare tire and it will not fit.(265/75/16) if you have a stock size spare tire it will fit. now i have to leave the spare in the bed. the curt 15602 is a better fit and you can fit a 265/75/16 spare tire.

Registered
If you have the stock GM hitch IMO get a aftermarket hitch asap. The stock hitch is shameful for a 3/4-1 ton truck.

Registered
Yea i would get rid of the stock hitch mine tubular part just kept twisting, it would get worse everytime i hooked to the sled, if ur gonna haul anything get rid of the factory hitch, just my two cents

1 - 10 of 10 Posts