Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am about to hit the 10K mark on the mileage and I decided it is time to change the fuel filter. Interestingly, Autozone wanted $45 for a Champion and my Chevy dealer wanted $33 for an AC-Delco! Anyway, I had heard a special tool might be required to change the filter so I went to check with the diesel mechanic. I was told no special tool required, but he highly recommended to let the dealer do it. Apparently there is a potential issue with people changing it themselves that anywhere from a few minutes to 2-3 days later the truck would need to be towed in because it would not run. Is this a real issue or are they just trying to get my $120 for a fuel filter change? I was thinking air in the fuel system or an electrical connection failing.

I did find this info for tools: Merchant Automotive :: Your Duramax Diesel and Allison Transmission Experts! and this page: Merchant Automotive :: Your Duramax Diesel and Allison Transmission Experts!

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
I have never heard of a fuel filter being hard to change. I haven't had to change mine yet...but I did alot of research on this forum and other sites...and I believe if you look in your owners manual....it will give you instructions on how to change it. I heard you pretty much take off your passenger side wheel wall and go to town. Hope this helps.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
no special tools are required...a strap wrench makes it a whole lot easier to get the filter loose. Also, that tool from Merchant automotive isn't required, but it keeps you from messing up the water in fuel (WIF) sensor (I bought one of those). You can get the sensor out with some channel locks. As long as you make sure you get both seals off with the old filter and you bleed the system, you will have no issues. I have read where people have had problems after having the stealership change their filter since their filter head got messed up and they chased the problem for quite a while. The only other thing that you need to be careful with is the bleeder screw. Be fairly gentle with it and don't overtighten and crack it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I changed the filter yesterday without any hitches. Easy to do, just time consuming in having to remove the inner fender. One thing I did was fill my filter with diesel before I put it on. Obviously, when I opened the bleeder valve and pumped it, fuel immediately came out. The truck didn't hesitate to start or run and I have about 60 miles on it since the change. I would highly recommend the tool from Merchant Automotive to remove the Fuel Sensor switch. The strap wrench wouldn't remove it. I am ordering one now.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
On most trucks you don't have to remove the fenderliner, but it does make it easier. I used a strap wrench this last time and had no problems. I always just go from the top and I can have it done in about 15 mins. I just use a ziplock bag to drop the filter into before pulling it out of the engine compartment. No spilled diesel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is there a trick too removing the plastic rivets that hold the inner fender without destroying them?

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Use a screwdriver to get them started pulling out (the centers). Pull them out until the stop. Then just use the same screwdriver to pop the rest of it loose. Either way, I would just have some extras on hand because they will eventually get destroyed. I just don't deal with them and take the fuel filter out the top. never had a problem doing that way and it takes less time (for me at least).

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Ok..after reading this further...I'm getting nervous myself. I thought you just popped the sensor off the top and unscrewed the filter. Can someone explain to me what "bleeding the system means" and what tools I will need? I can get a filter loosening wrench, ziplock bag, and channel locks. Is that all I'll need???

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Bleeding the system is just that...there is a silver pump on top of the filter head that you use. Personally, the way I do it is to put on the new filter, start the truck and let it run until it dies, and then I loosen the plastic screw next to the silver button some and pump until diesel comes out of the screw....tighten the screw and start the engine and see if it dies again. BTW, the sensor unplugs down by the engine....just follow the wires to the plug....it isn't to the top of the filter head assembly. If you don't have the diesel supplement, you can get it here: DTC and Manuals

Also, you got the tools list right except for a screwdriver for the bleeder screw.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Try this link: Fuel Filter replacment pics/instructions - Diesel Place It does a good job of explaining it. The only thing I did different was prefill my filter with diesel before I placed it and when I primed it, fuel immediately came out. My truck had no hesitation when I started it and ran it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I take the two bolts out holding the filter housing on and lift the filter, hoses and all. Then you can get to the flter better.

·
Registered
699 Posts
well at first readin all these got me worried, lookin under the hood down at the filter made me worried, takin the inner fender out looked like a pain, plus i like to make things as easy as posible. first turn wheels sharp right, then stand on the wheel and bumper to reach down and unplug the wif senser, then grab a rag and pull the inner fender well towards the spindle and slip your arms up behind it, use the rag for grip and spin the filter loose, hold the filter with one hand and pull the fender out alittle more and slip the filter out, hold the filter and take the wif senser out, put your new o rings on and do the steps in reverse. loosen the bleeder screw and pump the primer SLOWLY or you will spray fuel EVERYWHERE, this was my first change at 10.5k and what a difference it made and it only took me ten minutes. don't be scared it ain't that bad, hope this helps everyone and saves some people some money

·
Registered
95 Posts
Glad you guys posted all of this info. Giving mine a go tomorrow, haven't worked on the girl at all since I bought her. Looks pretty straight forward and not as difficult as doing it on the K4500. Who knows, maybe next I will do the oil change. :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Wow, 15 minutes start to finish including replacing a broken glove. :) I didn't need to move the ac line as they said in the pictures, the only thing that was really in the way was the dipstick. The hardest part of all of it was when you first detached it trying to get your hand moved around so you didn't drop the filter and then when you had to get it back onto the threads.

Pumping the primer slow is a VERY good piece of advice, even slow it spewed fuel out. After I had mine primed and connected up I cranked her up and she purred for about 15 minutes with no stutter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
fuel filter change

When you first drain any water and then remove the filter, air invaribly will enter the lines, as a result you need to "bleed" the lines. A very simple procedure, above your filter is a hand pump that allows you to pump air out and return fuel to the lines. Once you have done this you will know what to do if you ever run out of fuel!! Your manual will explain all of this. And getting the fender wall off sucks, just do it from the top.

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
Really easy to do,if you can change a tire, you can change your own fuel filter...WTF 120 Dollars for stealer to do...NO way search and you'll gitit...

·
Registered
60 Posts
I added this where the bleeder screw goes, it makes bleeding the filter easy with no mess.

Click on shop for bleeder kit.
Shop

·
Registered
11 Posts
Why are ya'll taking the tire and/or inner fenders off of your trucks!? This is a very easy filter to get to without all that extra stuff. Just use a filter wrench that looks like a pair of channel locks (you can get them from any auto parts store) and go in from the top. Just unplug the water sensor before you start. This is a 5 minute filter change. Just be sure you press the filter gasket in good before you replace and be carefull not to cross thread!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts