Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I left for work and the voltmeter was down at ~12 for the first 1/2 mile or so. It finally came up to ~15 or so but it was slow. When I got to work I shut it off and restarted and there was a slight delay but nothing like earlier. Have any of you seen this / is this normal?
Thanks,

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
The delay in charging after start up is NORMAL. Mine does this and so has every Dmax i've owned.

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
Its the grid heater, intake air heater, whatever you want to call it. It pulls a TON of juice. It stays on for a while on cold starts to warm the incoming air and help clean up emissions.

Sent from my Droid using the AutoGuide app while not driving...

·
Registered
665 Posts
I have noticed more of a draw on my 2011 as compared to the 2005 I had. Allot more stuff drawing juice on startup.

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
Its probably due to the intake heater. It really helps clean up the emissions which is why its there. My lmm stays at like 11-12 volts for a good 10-20 seconds in the fall mornings right now. In the winter it stays on longer.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,689 Posts
I have noticed more of a draw on my 2011 as compared to the 2005 I had. Allot more stuff drawing juice on startup.
Not all trucks had the grid heater, 2005 may not have. I don't recall which years did and which didn't.

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
Ya all the dmaxes do. The lb7 has a round style and the rest have the square style one.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,689 Posts
Ya all the dmaxes do. The lb7 has a round style and the rest have the square style one.

Are you sure? I have read multiple places that LB7 did, LLY did not, LBZ and LMM did, do you have something that says otherwise?

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/0...ertrain/88870-removing-air-intake-heater.html

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/performance-upgrades/79352-grid-heater-egr-delete.html

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/552300-post26.html

I'm trying to find a thread where Scott had said a certain model which I thought was LLY didn't as well.

·
Ask one to be one
5,660 Posts
Yep only LBZ and LMM have them oh and LML I am sure but I have yet to get too deep in one of them.

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
Guess I'm wrong. Not the first time :D

I thought they all had em since the lb7 does and lbz does it seems weird to leave it off the lly.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,689 Posts
Guess I'm wrong. Not the first time :D

I thought they all had em since the lb7 does and lbz does it seems weird to leave it off the lly.

Ironically, it was the first time I was right about something though...

Yeah, that is why I remembered it. I couldn't figure out why LB7 and LBZ had it, but they removed for the LLY.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts