Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Around Christmas my truck started to take longer and longer (IE 1-3minutes) for the alternator to, I assume self excite and for the gauges to pop on. One day it wouldn't pop on at all. I had a bad alternator, but I also tested the batteries and they where fine. Changed alternator, problem solved

The last couple of days my truck started taking a little bit longer, not consistently, but 2-4 time's, for the power to come on after cranking. Taking Like 30 seconds or so. I drove home today (130mi approx), and it did fine. I rode around a little and stopped for a few minutes at the store and when I went to leave & the alternator never would come on. I drove it for at-least 5 minutes down the road, still nothing. I thought maybe the belt come off, but its good. I prodded around a little at the battery cables and they looked pretty clean as well.

So I had no choice but to try and drive it home, a thirty minute drive. I cranked it back up headed towards home. About half way back home it started back charging. I am thinking I have a defective alternator, but what decides when the pulley's are warm and excites the alternator? Is it built into the regulator, or into the alternator? Just needing an opinion before I tear into it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I noticed the same thing kinda. mine was jumping around when it would shift it would drop to like 12v now today it went down to like 11.5v..........and stayed there

·
Registered
132 Posts
Mine takes about 30 seconds to start charging all the way. It has been doing it for a while, I just let it warm up until the lights brighten up and shes chargin.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts