Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Looking for some tips and tricks to heat my 2 car detached garage. Im building a car and it keeps getting set back by this cold!!

I am trying to avoid running a gas line 40 feet underground. And I don't have enough power to run an electric heater.

So, is there any secret way? I have a bug eye heater that mounts to the top of a propane tank, but after a few hours I start to see the goblins and taste the color purple. lol.

What a bout a kerosene heater?

Any ideas or thoughts!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
try a HVAC shop that replaces furnaces should be able to pick up a used one fairly cheep. I know a guy who heats one of his out buildings with an old diesel furnace hooked up to a 5 gal metal jeep can.

·
Registered
47 Posts
First question is whether or not you are insulated and have a ceiling in the garage?

That is important information to get suggestions on your heat source.

If you are not insulated, salamanders will provide a lot of heat to heat the area you are working in but not the entire garage. If will make it warmer, but with no insulation or ceiling, the heat is leaving about as fast as it is being produced.

·
Vendor
1,766 Posts
I use a kerosene/diesel/jet fuel heater and it word great my shop space is 80x60 and that 1 heater will take about 20 min before I have to take my jackets off from being to warm

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its a 20x20 and not insulated. It will be insulated down the road, but I just need something to give me a little heat for now.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,684 Posts
This is a great thread.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Get a used Pellet stove. Or wood stove. Pellets are easy to get and the stoves have a blower built in. If the money is tight and you cant insulate just tack up tarps to enclose the ceiling. It will atleast keep the heat a little longer.

·
Vendor
1,766 Posts
Prolly be a lot cheaper if you got a wood burning cause you gonna have to keep feeding that thing to warm up at all

·
Registered
506 Posts
Wood burner... Look at northern tool. You can get a 106k btu box stove for like 300 bucks. Good reviews too

·
Registered
11,067 Posts
Happy people still believe in the cost effectiveness and ease of use of a wood burner... Plus I'll take the after smell of a stove burning dry hard woods all day over the loopy feeling and taste a oil, natural gas, propane, etc any day.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Woodstove and an old oil furnace, wood stove can be run constant to keep the chill off, run the furnace when your inthere to keep at temp.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My father has a 16x24 barn with concrete floor 10ft walls and it leaks air like a sieve. NO insulation, 2 10x10 doors and an open ceiling. One wood burning stove can just about run you out of there once it gets going. Not very efficient but it surely works.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Wood stove gets my vote. Should be able to pick one up fairly cheap and it would easily heat the size garage you have.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Tiger torch with a propane tank. Open flame, but makes fast heat. Any propane heater will work fine. Cheap and portable. Probably use the tank off your BBQ.

·
Registered
469 Posts
We heat our 5000sq ft shop on a pellet stove. Never will look back. Love em, cheap effective heat

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
If you have natural gas I would get a gas heater. Either a furnace or modine type hanging heater.

For quick easy- buy a torpedo heater. Nothing to install- buy a heater plug it in and fill with kerosene and bam you got heat.

I used a torpedo heater as a backup to my gas furnace up until this year. Now I installed a modine and wish I had done it 5 years ago

·
Registered
126 Posts
i use a multi fuel torpedo heater. turn it on when i go out. take about 20 minutes before im in my t shirt. mine has a thermostat built in that makes it nice to maintain a temp. when you insulate the building i would look for a used 80% gas furnace probably get one for under $200 and would be the most efficient route. my insurance company wouldnt cover a wood burner in my garage because of fuel, flamables, ect. i heat my house with a wood stove and its alot of work.

·
Goin broke in style.
656 Posts
I use a wood burning stove in my 40x60 shop with 15ft ceilings. It takes a bit to get there on them real cold days but youll be in short sleeves in no time. I also made me a system out of an old vent that goes above a range in your house, rigged it up with a little homemade duct work and now it heats much more efficiently. Before it would heat the back of the shop (where it is) and not hardly touch the front where the roll up door is which is where i usually work. Let us know what you go with!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts