Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1993 chevy 3500 dually crew cab 2wd. Has 215k on it and runs great. I'm gonna be replacing all glow plugs and all injectors soon. Only thing the truck has that's not stock is straight piped.
Can't hear the turbo from inside the truck at all how can I fix that? On my boost gauge highest I've ever seen it is 5 how high can I adjust it to go? What other mods can I do for a lil more power?

·
Vendor
1,766 Posts
I know banks makes a turbo kit for that truck that really bring the truck to life is it cheap no but a great kit

·
Vendor
1,766 Posts
Not that much the 6.2 and 6.5 were never made strong enough to handle any kind of power from what I've seen only real performance mods are small injectors and the banks sidewinder kit

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm really looking mainly for mods I can do without going thru a company like banks etc. Some things I've heard was turning pump 1/4 to 1/2, adjusting the homemade turbo master for more boost up to about 10, and either an air box off a 96-98 half ton or a different air intake kit but should I box it in or leave it open? Heard this mod will make the turbo more noticeable from inside the cab

·
Vendor
1,766 Posts
You can leave it open but iv never noticed a differance

·
Registered
73 Posts
Being a '93 it could be a mechanically injected via DB2. A 6.5 with 215k your DB2 injection pump could be worn if original. Advancing the timing on the pump 1 or 2 degrees could be done to restore power due to pump wear. Do not attempt unless you know what you're doing, advancing too much could cause a runaway. I ran my electronic DS4 6.5 boost up to 15 psi with ARP studs with a heath diesel ecm and mechanical wastegate. Stock max from factory is 7psi. If your engine is healthy you could try 10 but you need fuel to support your boost. The only glow plugs worth buying for a 6.5L are ACDelco 60g's. If your injectors need replacing go with Bosch/ACDelco OEM.

Hearing the turbo inside the cab is unlikely from my experience. You could put a cone filter directly on the turbo and it will become louder but the stock intake is better for cool dense air. I had a 2.5 inch crossover and 4 inch exhaust w/downpipe and the turbo was pronounced on spool down outside or with the windows open. Heath diesel or banks are only companies I would recommend for 6.5 performance based parts on my experience. There aren't many companies that specialize in 6.5's but most are snake oil. Good luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
6.5 with the stock, crappy turbo is done around 12 psi, the rest is hot air pre and post turbo.

Guages are mandatory and if you want more turbo noise, put an HX35, HX40 or hybrid HX35/40 on it and then turn it up to 15-20 psi. Studs and new head gaskets are a good idea if you have some miles but the Holsets are easier on the engine at higher boost.

Bosch duraterms are also a good plug. As noted, get OE type injectors or nozzles, NO marine or chinese or Indian.

Leroydiesel.com is a good place for parts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are the hx35 and hx40 turbos just an easy bolt up deal just take off the old and bolt on the new?
I'm going to talk to a diesel performance shop about the pump advance today and possibly turning pump up a bit.
Will also look into studding as well.
After first of the year I'm getting all new glow plugs and injectors.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts