Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are a ton of treads for deleting, I am not looking to do more than just delete the DEF system. Not looking for more power. I am on my second tank and it is having issues again. Sucks to have a truck that I am afraid to drive because of this system. I was looking at the H&S Performance Mini Maxx to program than looks like I need to remove the filter and cat. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
320 Posts
tune & a pipe to replace the DPF. also the word cheep and duramax are never used in the same sentence. hahaha....

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts
You Do Not need to remove the CAT, in fact I recommend against it. If you do two negative things will happen:

1. your exhaust will Stink

2. you will have a loud Drone that will cause normal conversation to not be possible without raising your voice while driving on the highway

You will also need a tune to keep your truck from going into limp after deleting the DPF and DEF systems.

Reactions: zeake

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info on H&S. Did not know that. Just looked like they were the cheapest for the turner. Also thanks for the info on the Cat. Less I have to take off the better. Now just need to look for a different tuner.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Thanks for the info on H&S. Did not know that. Just looked like they were the cheapest for the turner. Also thanks for the info on the Cat. Less I have to take off the better. Now just need to look for a different tuner.
Shoot me a PM for other than H&S.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Ridge runner is what I run

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
What ever you do, keep the old parts. You just never know if you will have to put them back on. Maybe you will go to work one day, a coworker who is having a bad day will punch you in the nose and they will fire both of you for fighting. It happened to me. Then you need a new job. The commute is too far so you move. Now you live where there is an emissions inspection. You just never know.

And to answer your question about deleting the DPF, the cheapest way is to sell your truck and buy an LBZ. You should even come out ahead on the exchange.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
====================================
In another "thread" a guy named "Mikey" has suggested if we "gut" the DPF that could solve the problem.
Can't do that. Won't work. Sensors will go crazy and you'll be in limp mode and check engine lights.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Can't do that. Won't work. Sensors will go crazy and you'll be in limp mode and check engine lights.
Well, ya, sortof. Actually you could...... but you'd need the tune to make it work. Then if you ever needed to put it back you would have to go buy a new one.

Perhaps that would happen when testing came to your area and everyone in your same situation would be looking for a replacement. You could be stuck with an illegal truck and no parts available for months to make it right.

Best to keep the old stuff on a shelf and get a replacement pipe.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Actually, since the theme here is how to delete cheaply, destroying parts to do a delete could turn out to be the most expensive way to delete possible. The cheapest route would likely be a DPF delete pipe and a tune to shut everything off.

I know the OP said he didn't care about more power but with a delete tune you can easily pick up 4-7 mpg and 60 HP without hurting the truck at all. So why not? Just stay away from the big power tunes and the truck should last just as long as stock, maybe longer.

Besides, the big power tunes are often dirty as well. By staying conservative you won't be advertising what you have done and you can feel good about not filling the air with unbreathable crap.

WARNING, SOAP BOX COMING OUT:

I don't own the air and neither do you, whom ever you are. We all need it and have to share it. If you expect me to leave the air breathable then I expect you to do the same. EGR DEF and DPF don't reliably yet so I have no problem with people removing them. The increase in smog is small in most cases and, to me at least, tolerable. but CAT does work so I do have a problem with removing that. I have a really big problem with people who willfully pollute the air I have to breath with thick clouds of soot.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mizterwizard, That is what I am looking at. I love the fact that I do not roll coal out the tail pipe and like the fact that the truck does not smell also. My problem is that the EGR,DEF and DPF system break. I have been 600 miles from home with a trailer and family and it failed. Not wanting that feeling again. I have seen that most tunes to delete give around 60hp gains and better mpgs. But my main reason is reliably of the truck.

Thanks everyone for the info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a H&S mini max on my 2011 2500HD and I love it. I get 19.5 mpg and more horse power. There is support out there from Diesel Tuner Pros. That’s who supports my firmware and updates, Smokin08 has been a great help there and I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The idea that you will gain 4-7 mpg is completely wrong. That is marketing. I have never seen a Duramax gain that kind of mileage with a delete.

OP...if you want a better option contact Kennedy Diesel for a limited emissions tune. No parts fall off and the DEF system will not give you any more issues. Super simple and reliable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
willydmax, I know what my truck gained, since it is my truck, sorry you don’t know my truck. I have no reason to gain from marketing, sorry buddy.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
My statement is based on experience including a situation where the truck was being driven by hired hands. There is a strong tendency to get the result you expect so if you tune for mileage you will modify your driving to make it happen, even though it is the driving that makes the big difference. With hired help though that isn't the case. They would be more inclined to use the extra power and not care about economy. That particular case was reported to me by the business owner as a 6 mpg increase.

Your mileage may vary.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts