Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2017 2500 Duramax Crew Cab Long Bed 2wd
64 Posts
But if I go to a different filter, or back to stock, how will they truck know it is different? Won't I still need to reset the code somehow?
That k&n probably let in so much dirt that it dirtied up some of the sensors in the intake. That happened to me once, bought a 2018 Cummins with a k&n, it was the whole intake not just the filter, so I couldn’t just swap in a paper filter. So before I could change it out, a CEL came on about a sensor in intake. I had to clean a bunch of sensors and wipe out intake pipes.

K&N is garbage. Go with stock, more than adequate. Or go with purolator one, it tested best for filtering and static pressure. Meaning it flows the best while actually filtering.

·
Registered
64 Posts
LoL, it's a setting they added to the newer trucks. He might have to go to the dealer to have them reset it and change the setting.
You can lol all you want, whether it’s a setting or not, check that air intake system for dust and he’ll find it.

I would hate to find myself in the position as an adult, that I start a sentence with ‘lol’

·
Registered
64 Posts
Easy there @Mattswaggs ,
While I agree with your thoughts on K&N filters, let's not go down the keyboard cowboy path.

We're crossing topics here. First topic is the OPs warning message. The new trucks have an air filter sensor that is extremely sensitive to air flow. It will activate if you put on a higher flowing filter. There is a way to disable it.

The second topic is k&n filters, thoughts run hot and heavy on this. I personally will never use one. I'm sure there's some people that have used them and say they're fine.

@rittlemethat16 , if you want the message gone "now" put your old filter back in. That is of course pending the ability to manually turn off the monitor. Someone posted it on here at some point.

As far as dirty air getting into your engine, do your homework on k&n filters and make up your own mind.
I completely agree.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks but hindsight is 20/20. Now that I am receiving the notification I need to know how to reset it. That info is good but only helps if you haven't received the 'circle of death' yet.

1 local mechanic and 3 dealerships have already told me they cannot help, and 1 dealership told me my warranty is now void be I dropped in a replacement filter. This is insane.
There was a resetting procedure in that link that he posted. If that didnt work, I would either drive it, as it may reset itself (since it took 1,500 miles to come on, maybe it will reset itself after awhile). Other option is disconnect batteries?

1 - 5 of 23 Posts