Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am a relatively new owner. I bought my wife a 2021 Yukon Denali 3.0L Duramax and we love it as our family truckster. It gets good mileage, great torque, etc. This is not my first diesel (I had several VW and Audi diesels previously). So I am familiar with the regen process, use of DEF, etc.

While we use our truck for long drives, it mostly is mostly a grocery getter and kid taxi around our town -- with lots of short trips and start/stop traffic. At around 3500 miles my wife got the "Cleaning Exhaust Filter Keep Driving" message. As she was making her normal series of short trips -- she drove as she normally did and I assume cut off the regen process when we keyed off the Yukon.

The truck then threw a CEL. I checked and topped off the DEF tank (which was down to a 1/4 tank) using 2.5G of ISO/API certified DEF. And we took the truck to the dealership - and they just phoned that the CEL was in fact because the DPF was not able to properly regenerating. They have a call into GM's tech line -- and they are hoping that there is a software fix, but the dealership admits they are puzzled (and they want to keep the truck overnight).

We can't be the first and only to have this happen on this product (I know its new -- but we aren't the only ones that use their Yukon for arround the town driving). I have never had this issue with the 3.0L TDI product from VW/Audi.

But has anyone else had this issue? Anyone have a work around? I know we cannot force a manual regen -- but is there some option here? Does GM have a software flash for this truck for drivers that use their Yukon for short trips?

·
Registered
378 Posts
There is no alternate software for city regens. And stop and go is bad for these new trucks. I'd suggest getting a Banks idash and set it up so you know when your getting close to a regen and can prepare accordingly. Not being able to complete regens will basically ruin the entire system. I assume also that the idash will have full functionality on the lm2. My wife's tdi never regened once and she never filled the def in 50k miles since the system wasn't even working, which was nice.

·
Registered
2017, 2500HD, LTZ, front guard, Duraflap mudguards, Leer bed topper
431 Posts
When doing “short drives” and hard acceleration, my 2017 will go into that “continue driving” state. I then take that as a time to take a nice drive in the country where I can stay above 45mph. Usually it is a 60-75 mph fairly straight stretch. I drive out 10 miles then home.. 20 mile loop.

it is not as bad now that I have 50k on it. Ran thru lots of the fluid… GM put the “patch” on and things improved significantly.

there is no other choice. The truck must regen… beatings will continue until morale improves, comrade.

There are aftermarket devices which do a “force” regen cycle. The dealers have method to force regens until warranty expires.

So, if you live “in the city”, find a way to do longer drives keeping the RPMs up. Like going into transmission manual mode … it makes drivability difficult for my wife, so I drive like that or take a country drive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm -- wish I was aware of this before I bought the truck.

If the dealer just clears the code -- and we go on a "long drive" 20+ miles -- will the issue clear itself?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Hmm -- wish I was aware of this before I bought the truck.

If the dealer just clears the code -- and we go on a "long drive" 20+ miles -- will the issue clear itself?
Only if your able to tell if it's in regen, which they don't tell you until the continue driving message shows up and then the failed regen message. You need a device like the idash or similar to let you know when a regen is about to occur. You can do a mobile or stationary. Your problems are really GMs fault for not properly educating customers on this system and also for making the system only notify the driver when there is already a problem.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Regens on the 3.0l (at least in a truck) last between 10 & 15 miles at highway speed. If you see the keep driving message drive it somewhere where you aren't stopping until it goes away. As mentioned a Banks iDash will allow you to force a mobile regen and it will also clear codes.

Jay

Reactions: VikingCop

·
Registered
2017, 2500HD, LTZ, front guard, Duraflap mudguards, Leer bed topper
431 Posts
Take your family for ice cream about 20 mile ride… works for us..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Only if your able to tell if it's in regen, which they don't tell you until the continue driving message shows up and then the failed regen message. You need a device like the idash or similar to let you know when a regen is about to occur. You can do a mobile or stationary. Your problems are really GMs fault for not properly educating customers on this system and also for making the system only notify the driver when there is already a problem.
Thank you again -- I looked at the site. So which iDash do I need in order to be able to track when a regen is about to occur or occurring? Is there a specific version that I need?

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Thank you again -- I looked at the site. So which iDash do I need in order to be able to track when a regen is about to occur or occurring? Is there a specific version that I need?
I believe the supergauge and datamonster are the same except for the data storing ability.
Either one can read the memory locations.
The datamonster will/can keep a log of whatever locations you want.
Both can tell you when a regen is occurring, can tell you the miles since the last regen (actually its since the last regen got finished) and the current soot load. (when it gets to 100%, it's gonna want to try to regen)
I've been tracking regens for shits and giggles and as others indicated, the 3.0L regens in about 11 or 12 miles at normal 2 lane highway speeds.

I'm seeing variation in miles between regens, but usually they are in the 250 to 300 mile range. Miles between regens seems to have no effect on the duration of the regen. I've not had an issue with shutting it down during a regen. When it gets back to temp the regen will resume.

Any differences in usage recently?
At 3500 miles it will likely have regened more than a dozen times already.

Reactions: cfell

·
Registered
378 Posts
As noted, just the supergauge, unless you want data logging. Once you get it set up you'll never have to worry about being surprised by a regen, and you can plan and initiate a regen when your close to needing one and have the time and miles to complete it properly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I totally agree with your comment regarding proper education. I picked up a Class B RV last year which is based on the newest generation (2019+) Mercedes Sprinter chassis. Mine happens to be a 3500XL duallie with the Mercedes OM642 3.0L v6 diesel. I also recently picked up a 2021 Silverado RST Diesel. Neither my Sprinter, nor my Chevy Truck will tell me when it's nearing or, during a regen activity, or at all -- really. Thankfully my sprinter's gauges show me the soot load on the DPF, and I can actively watch it, by manipulating through all of the info screens to the DPF status, and tell what it's doing, of sorts. Nothing really like that in our trucks. Thankfully the Banks iGague, or SuperGague, or whatever it's called is an awesome product matched to this baby Duramax engine.

That said, I really don't understand why these manufacturers wouldn't provide you with more insight as to what's going on with the DPF. Hell, I'd love a little digital gauge on my Silverado that showed me the soot load, or even a warning message that the DPF cycle is about to being, keep driving! Baffles me.

My driving habits with the sprinter are, as you'd likely figure, quite a bit different than my new Silverado which is my only daily vehicle now. So while the Sprinter is pretty much always on the highway regens are not an issue at all. This isn't true for my Silverado, of course. Having that built-in gauge, or waring screens would go a long way to help those of us in the know with diesel, and even those who are not such as the fella's wife with the Tahoe. You and I both know that wouldn't take too much effort for these manufacturers to do so, the data is there and can be read from the ecu.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The site will guide you through what one to order of course, however as you noticed there's a number of variations. I purchased the Supergage (not the data monster, because I don't care about logging to an SD card) and the Pedal Monster since I do like a more "lively" pedal. Nonetheless, there's a number of settings that can be found within the SuperGauge, or DataMonster (i find their products confusing myself). Its actually a quite intuitive product, and you can read so many metrics from the vehicle, it's nuts. Anyhow, I believe the value you're looking for is "DF-REGEN" which will show you the status of the current regen, either active or off. And there are about 3 or 4 more variables you may want to monitor. One is a countdown of sorts in miles to the next regen, another will tell you the average in miles between regens. There's more, but I monitor other things like EGT, Engine, and Coolant Temps, Boost PSI, IAT, etc. Realy, though at the end of the day all you will likely care about is if the thing is in regen or not, I guess.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Also look into the edge insight cts3. Does all the Regen monitoring and I think it looks way better and more customizable. It's what I use.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I always volunteer for the long trips and have never seen that. Usually take a 30 mile (each-way) trip at least once a week. Mon-Fri I'm mostly driving in 5-10 mile increments. I also tow equipment with mine about every other week (10,000-20,000lbs) which helps. I have the 6.6, but if its not convenient for you to take longer trips every week or two, then maybe a gasser will suit you better.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
I should have added in my previous post that doing the same (mostly rural 2 lane) daily driver type duty the '21 LM2 (3.0L) regens more frequently than the L5P (6.6L) -- but the length of regen is much shorter.

My L5P would take roughly 20 minutes / 20 miles on rural 2 lane.
LM2 only takes about 11-12 miles / minutes.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
If you know you are in regen and don't have a long way to drive, just lock it in a lower gear and try to drive at a steady pace. The egt's will stay in the regen stage longer. For my 2018 L5P 4th gear and 45 mph works really fast.

I have the edge cts2and it will let you know it's about to start a regen by displaying a dpf heating message.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just captured this video on my morning drive. I have an alert set for active regen. Highly recommend this product.

Out of curiosity how did you alert on the REGEN to show properly? I was looking at mine this morning. I believe in your video your stating to alert on the DPF-RG% (number) if I'm not mistaken?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts