Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday driving down the freeway I noticed a big poof of white smoke coming out the exhaust. Not worried about that it happens when I get on the gas petal during regen. I see it every now and then. Within 5 mins after my CEL came on. Went to the shop this morning and I don’t have the code but he told me it was a fuel sensor error. Not sure exactly what it is and I don’t have time to leave it for a diagnosis. Any thoughts? Not sure if one thing leads to the other just seems odd the CEL came on right after regen. #9 injector???

·
Registered
731 Posts
that's what happened to me coming up the "Kingman grade" on I-40 (in the rain at night). About a minute later the truck suddenly went into REDUCE POWER ( limp mode) which (my boat and trailer weighs about 11,000 lbs) which damn near got me killed - given the typical speed the big-rigs travel on the Interstate - and all of a sudden, before I could even pull over, I am down to 10-15 mph. You MAY be headed for a "limp mode".

The cause was a stuffed up DPF. Two different shops tried "forced stationary regens" - pretty scary - I think it abuses the truck to run it at high rpms with no load.

Found a shop in Phoenix that does DPF clean-outs for the OTR crowd. They cut the damn thing out, cleaned it, re-installed for $700. Had to find a guy with the specialized equipment to get it out of limp mode.

Ran great after that - but not for long. I personally am not willing to risk my wife's life, mine, and my equipment on the %$($*#* pollution equipment (which many of us feel is actually counter-productive to the environment - just a "con" to get us to need more service and use much more diesel fuel.

Bottom line - if you HAVE to keep your pollution system stock (for any number of good reasons) the answer is above - you don't have to lay out close to three grand for a new DPF.

However, not that I am admitting anything ( I don't want to be accused of being a bunny-rabbit killer, or the guy who deprived AOC of the fun of making babies, or the reason why human life on Earth will end in 10 years ) but my truck runs MUCH greater than great....significant increase in fuel mileage.

Should you be looking around in the "search engine" of this forum, again, not that I am suggesting anything so criminal...…..try typing in the word "D E L E T E " !
Jeeeezzzzz do you have Alzheimer's or just Dementia? Give it a rest! Cutting and pasting that same tired old story. Just because you bought a vehicle that was not taken care of for almost 100k miles before you bought it and now use every thread you can to whine about it!

Need to get some Cheese to go with that Whine! :cookoo[1]:

Don't go away mad just go away...fullofIT

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback but still don’t know what to think. I am hauling my trailer 8-9000 pounds tomorrow so I hope it holds up. Zero loss of power. Hope it is a minor problem because I don’t have time right now to deal with it.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess my auto dig for truck details doesn’t show up when I use my phone....it’s a 2014 2500hd

·
Registered
731 Posts
Thanks for the feedback but still don’t know what to think. I am hauling my trailer 8-9000 pounds tomorrow so I hope it holds up. Zero loss of power. Hope it is a minor problem because I don’t have time right now to deal with it.
Do yourself a favor. Do a search on his posts. Then everything will become clear. Good Luck. I cannot help because I have never had any issues throwing codes on regens on Ram, GM or Fords.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
The cause was a stuffed up DPF. Two different shops tried "forced stationary regens" - pretty scary - I think it abuses the truck to run it at high rpms with no load.
No it does not abuse the truck to run forced regens. 2000 RPM is not damaging the engine. Now if you want a little extra peace of mind, have a high powered fan running in front of it to help engine cooling if you live in Phoenix.

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
I believe that this is more evidence for my theory that far western state mandate alternative bio fuels causing the regen systems of these trucks to malfunction.

Try getting your fuel from a different source. The less bio the better.

Reactions: D_R_C

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts
Jeeeezzzzz do you have Alzheimer's or just Dementia? Give it a rest! Cutting and pasting that same tired old story. Just because you bought a vehicle that was not taken care of for almost 100k miles before you bought it and now use every thread you can to whine about it!

Need to get some Cheese to go with that Whine! :cookoo[1]:

Don't go away mad just go away...fullofIT
Just put him on your "Ignore" list and he will effectively go away.............I did

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts
I believe that this is more evidence for my theory that far western state mandate alternative bio fuels causing the regen systems of these trucks to malfunction.

For those with LML engines the Bio is a great thing. It adds the lubricity missing from the ULSD we aer all forced to run. No additive you can buy equals it in that regard, but Opti-Lube comes close.

It is also a wonderful fuel system cleaner, all the way from the tank to the injectors.

·
Registered
7,363 Posts
Yesterday driving down the freeway I noticed a big poof of white smoke coming out the exhaust. Not worried about that it happens when I get on the gas petal during regen. I see it every now and then. Within 5 mins after my CEL came on. Went to the shop this morning and I don’t have the code but he told me it was a fuel sensor error. Not sure exactly what it is and I don’t have time to leave it for a diagnosis. Any thoughts? Not sure if one thing leads to the other just seems odd the CEL came on right after regen. #9 injector???
Do you have any device that can read and clear trouble codes 'dunno;
If you don't, then if your planning on owning a diesel you might consider investing in something, Edge Insight comes to mind.
Since at least 2007 my first Duramax they are well known for possible ghost codes, I had several that never should have shown up when new, a couple that had nothing to do with a diesel, glitch.

My dealer tech suggested I invest in a code scanner he suggested buying a small Mac Tools OBD2 code scanner/clearer EB50, 2009 I went with the Edge Insight.
He looses money everytime you go in to have issues diagnosis and codes cleared and you loose time where a simple clearing takes care of a code/reduced power.
Write the code number down and what it explains the issue is, if the code comes back then go to your dealer, if it doesn't continue on.
Several codes will keep you in reduced power mode until they are cleared.

On using BIO with DPF, to much will cause problems, you never know exactly what your getting everything says up to a % number.
A good additive would be much safer even for the LML, they do need something, but to much of a BIO good thing also causes problems, one part comes to mind a plugged up DPF.

·
Registered
62 Posts

For those with LML engines the Bio is a great thing. It adds the lubricity missing from the ULSD we aer all forced to run. No additive you can buy equals it in that regard, but Opti-Lube comes close.

It is also a wonderful fuel system cleaner, all the way from the tank to the injectors.
@chevor & @407driver I have heard these conflicting statements when researching fuel types & additives. What I have found is that bio has less BTUs/gal than ULSD. This is why some experience lower MPGs when running bio. Do yiu guys have anymore insights? I am still trying to find answers. when I do i will share

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
The exhaust regen system is different between the LMM 2007 to 2010, and the 2011 and newer.

On LML and L5P fuel is injected into the DPF in a low pressure burn. That is where I believe the problem with fuel exist.

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
Not sure if one thing leads to the other just seems odd the CEL came on right after regen. #9 injector???
Well, 9th inj is in the middle of it all for a regen.
And it seems that they are the most common failure item in the LML emissions system.
Need the actual codes.

#2 ULSD vs B20.....3.9% less BTUs.
Is that a significant difference that would affect performance in any way?

Now with B100...that's 16% less, which I could see as a potential problem.

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
Well, 9th inj is in the middle of it all for a regen.
And it seems that they are the most common failure item in the LML emissions system.
Need the actual codes.

#2 ULSD vs B20.....3.9% less BTUs.
Is that a significant difference that would affect performance in any way?

Now with B100...that's 16% less, which I could see as a potential problem.
The regen system is burning it ... It is different than combustion in the engine.

Seen issues with the fuel staying burning, truck has hazed white smoke trying to ignite.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Right the BTU difference between ULSD & B20 is not much diffrence. In my experience Bioblends have caused more frequent regens even when fueling up at high volume truck stops. I cant write bio off but try not to use it much because the blend ratios are not consistent. For this reason I have been using ULSD and supplementing lubricty and cetane with additive.
One of the reasons I have been looking at GM HDs is the 9th injector because of oil dilution during regens (esp using bio) with my F250. Is the 9th the cause of any specific issues? @CA2500 did you ever resolve the issue?
Thanks
W.T.F.

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts
Almost 4 miles less every 100 miles.
at 15 MPG (6.666 gallons for 100 miles) that = 0.6 MPG less..............not really significant is it?

Add to that the fact you no longer need to put expensive additives in the fuel, it seems to me it balances out

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
Factor in that bio is usually cheaper per gallon.....that lost 4 miles, pays dividends. marx

Reactions: 407driver
1 - 20 of 21 Posts