Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was running my edge on level 5 and was doing the 0-60 and the trans jolted and the light came on what has happened? im new to the duramax and edge ive heard of limp mode but im way confused.

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
WHat happend after words, no shift? RPM limit? More than likely you limped the trans but it could have 1093'd also!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
the trans didnt shift into 4th and the motor was wrapped out at like 2700-2800 rpm i stopped and shut the truck off and the trans shifted fine but the light was still on

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
You limped the trans, something you dont want to do as each time you do it it will become easier to do each time after. Try changing your spin on filter it might help but the edge on level 5 is a bit much for a stock trans. Try giving the trans some time to learn on the power level with out changing it befor you pound on it, it might help a bit!!!

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
turn the power down and start saving for a beefed up tranny from either suncoast or ats. You could get away with a trango shift kit and possibly a new converter, but you might as well change out the clutches too. Just do what I do, turn it down until you have the money to play.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
level 3 should be ok....just make sure you don't have any wide open throttle shifts into 5th.

·
Registered
262 Posts
why are you not supposed to go wide open into 5th

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Because that is when you will probably limp the tranny (at least that is how I have limped my tranny). Most of the time it happens either on the 4-5 shift or 5-4 shift.

·
Registered
262 Posts
thanks i have only l imoed my tranny once and hope to never do it again. it was also in my stpider days when i ran my ppe on level 3 which was 225hp

·
Registered
59 Posts
wiping the dust off this post real quick...this morning on my way home i stopped on a nice side strip going to some ball fields to do the 1/4mile test on the edge..its on power level 3 and its never been above that...took off finished the 1/4 and when i stopped the engine light came on and the display said something like shift inhibited i believe and would shift or move, turned it off and 10seconds later back on, it shifted just fine but the stayed on, now im freaked out and i dont know what limped my tranny means...will the light go off when i wake up or is it on there for good, and what does limp mean?? thanks guys!

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Sounds like you stayed on the throttle during the 4-5 shift. It will eventually go out. Limp mode just saves the tranny from grenading. You will just have to back off on that shift....I have also limped mine going 5-4 shift too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts