Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '06 2500HD/Duramax LBZ CrewCab 4X4, with Banks Chip, Intake and Exhaust. The check engine light came on after the truck sat for a couple of days, as soon as I started the engine. Any suggestions??

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
firts off welcome to the site..couple of ?'s did read any of the codes,have you changed the fuel filter lately,what type of exhaust did you put on meaning turbo back or cat back?pull the banks stuff off and see if that doesn't make a difference..sorry for all the questions but we need a tad bit more info to give you an anwser..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More info on engine light

Haven't read any codes. Nor have I taken it back to the dealer, wanted to see responses on here first. The exhaust is the Banks Diesel Dual Monster Exhaust. Six-Gun chip. I changed the fuel filter at 12,000 miles. Then went on a camping trip to Grand Canyon (3600 miles round trip) pulling a 10,000 lb camper. I had Banks speed loader set on 3 for towing. Light came on once, shortly after refueling. I stopped at a truck stop and drained the fuel filter. Light went out and stayed out for 5,000 miles. Went on another trip to Florida, and after getting to destination, two days later cranked up to go out to eat (without towing camper), light came on as soon as I started engine. Tried the same technique of draining fuel filter, unhooking batteries, unhooking Banks chip, with no luck. But it does run rougher with the Banks chip unplugged. I plugged it back up and it runs smooth.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
for starts take it some where and have them read the codes and keep the fuel filter changed atleast every 8k miles and 10k miles at the most..give it a few min.s and some oneelse will chime in with a tad bit more knowledge..does it have a low rpm limit when the engine light is on?

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Take it to an autozone to get the codes read. It could be anything from just bad fuel (it only takes one bad tank of fuel to clogg a fitler) or possibly your tranny throwing codes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah get us the codes and you should make sure that you have an extra fuel filter in the truck whenever you go on a long trip like that. I had a bad tank of fuel once and lost two injectors due to it. I always keep a fuel filter under the back seat just in case.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Codes Read

Codes were 401 and 403, both related to EGR valve. Any good websites for schematics of 2006 HD? I believe if I pull the valve and clean it, my problem is fixed. What say you?

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Is your exhaust cat back or turbo back? Chances are if it is turbo back, you won't clear the codes by cleaning the EGR...you will need a code blocker called a "finger stick."

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
you can also do the standard PPE tuner and that will disable the egr..

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to let you know blocking and fingering won't solve the problem. I called the guys at Kennedy Diesel and they said the finger won't work for code P0403. Take it to the stealer and have them do an update on the egr valve. This will make the valve less sensitive and stop it from throwing the codes.

·
Registered
315 Posts
i had a feelin it mite be ur egr...good luck wit that wonderful piece...mine clogged on my Powerstroke a little before 30K miles !!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just got my truck back from the dealer and for the 12th time in the shop for the P0403 code. I used to have the Edge Juice w attitude and still have an AFE 4" turbo back exhaust. The final conclusion after updateing my program for the EGR valve that the "larger aftermarket exhaust was not providing enough back pressure and causing the P0403 code. :mad:

This has been an ongoing problem since I have owned my truck which is 06 LBZ crew cab i got with 111 miles.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I feel you pain. Just exactly how did they determine it was not enough back pressure? From my understanding the EGR position sensor just needs to be updated. The guys at Kennedy Diesel helped me with this problem and they said that an update is all I need. My next question is I guess your Edge Juice didn't disable the EGR?

Please keep me informed on what you find out. So far your the only one I've found that is having a P0403 problem like me. All the other threads refer to P0401 and P0404 which can be addressed by the finger.

BTW I'm planning to try the PPE xcelerator. If it solves the problem I'll let you know, unless you hear otherwise.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Great!! You are the second person that has confirmed this. I'm going with the PPE. I wonder if you can use the blocker plate also?

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i would install a blocker plate even if it's a stock truck just for the sake of keeping the soot out of the EGR...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts