Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me what the actual differences are in these two vehicles that affects the payload rating?
Springs, axle size, bearings, ?????

thanks
jefco
Texas

·
Registered
412 Posts
Can someone tell me what the actual differences are in these two vehicles that affects the payload rating?
Springs, axle size, bearings, ?????

thanks
jefco
Texas
Howdy Jefco! I think we're on another forum together.

As mentioned, Tires and Leaf pack - some other minor things are - no Passenger seatbelt nanny, and no TPMS in the 3500's

:drink

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
KC is that you?
Surprising to me that is the only differences. What's with the no TPMS in the 3500's?
thanks
jefco

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
I don't know about your 3500 but mine came with TPMS from the factory, considering its been a safety law for several years that all vehicles will have TPMS from the factory.

·
Registered
127 Posts
My 2014 does not have the tpms.. lucky on that one, always had issues with them on all my previous gm vehicles.

·
Registered
412 Posts
KC is that you?
Surprising to me that is the only differences. What's with the no TPMS in the 3500's?
thanks
jefco
Yes same dude, and the TPMS has not been offered on the 3500's for at least 2 years I know of.

I don't know about your 3500 but mine came with TPMS from the factory, considering its been a safety law for several years that all vehicles will have TPMS from the factory.
I'm sorry you got stuck with that terrible system, it is no longer offered on the 3500 series HD trucks from Chevy or GMC.

·
Registered
108 Posts
No TPMS on mine either but besides the aforementioned differences above they drive better, have a better shine, softer leather.... just sayin :rofl

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
I've never had a problem with the TPMS on both of my vehicles in my sig.:D
I had my dealer re-calibrate the rears on my 3500 to the same settings that is set on the fronts.:neener
I run 44 psi in the rears driving solo then bump the rear pressure up to 80 when towing my 5th wheel.
With NO low tire pressure warnings.
The ride on my 3500 is great and I love the TPMS so much that I installed aftermarket systems on my 5th wheel, Motor Home & Geo tracker that I tow behind my MH. :thumb.

·
Registered
445 Posts
They do not put TPMS on the 3500's because EPA does not require them on a 3500 truck. They are however required on a 2500. TMPS is considered an environmental thing. EPA figures that with TPMS people won't be as likely to allow their tires to run low on air which in turn lowers fuel economy and creates more of an impact on the environment. No idea why they haven't made this a regulation on the 3500's yet. I'm sure that it's coming though. I like my TPMS aside from the fact that the pressure's are set so high in the system. IIRC they come set at 60psi for the rears and 55psi in the fronts. I keep reading about people having their dealers change these settings. Every dealer around here tells me it can't be done and refuses to try. Frustrating.

It was mentioned above that the 3500 SRW comes with different tires. What's different about them?

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
You just have to find the right person at the dealer, I always deal with fleet.
The fleet manager told the tech to just change the settings, and he did. :D
But on the invoice he wrote he couldn't make the change the customer requested.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Legislation applies to vehicles that have GVWR of 10,000 pounds or less is why you no longer see factory TPMS in a 3500... Nothing to do with EPA.

DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards; Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems; Controls and Displays

<snip>

Consistent with the Second Circuit’s opinion, FMVSS No. 138 requires new passenger cars, multi-purpose passenger vehicles, trucks, and buses with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 4,536 kg (10,000 pounds) or less, except those with dual wheels on an axle, to be equipped with a TPMS to alert the driver when one or more of the vehicle’s tires, up to a total of all four tires, is significantly under-inflated.

<snip>

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yup what RubyDually said. No tpms on my 2011.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts