Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 380 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well after a lot of careful consideration and searching the web for places that offered an affordable Tech2, all of which are were based out of Shenzhen China, I decided to bite the bullet and get one. I did searches on here and the 3 other major diesel sites and the results were about even, for and against. However, I did notice that a lot of the "against" comments were very short one line statements without any credible information. I consulted with PayPal, before I jumped in, and they told me that the Chinese businesses were very good to deal with. Also if for some reason I do not receive my order or it is not complete as it was represented to me then PayPal would refund the purchase price. (I'm sure, provided, I send everything back that I got). Now let me say this from the beginning, If I had to make my living by using this tool, I would not hesitate to try and source this from OTC or Bosch (and pay dearly for it) but I am not going to use this tool but a hand full of times and I need to save my money for injectors and tires. When you need it you need it. I already own a Tech1A for my '94 gasser... too bad its OBD1. I bought it used and I've only used it maybe 3 times since I've owned it. I thought about getting one of those programs you can use on your cell phone and the wireless thingy, but by the time I did all that I figured that I would need the real Tech2 to do something else. Anyway I am going to document my experience (good or bad) with this tool and BE THE guniea pig. Why? because I haven't found anyone that has done it (except on a Saab site and he gave his great reviews BTW) on a diesel site.

After narrowing my search to 4 different sites (all of which seemed to resemble each other except for pricing) I decided on China OBD diagnostic online supplier. I was able to get them to chat with me (provided it was daytime over there...15 hour difference) and they did their best to answer my questions. However they are not gearheads and wont know the super specifics. The websites pretty much spell out what the tool is and what is included and what it can do. There are reviews which offer a little help. There is a 1 year warranty BUT YOU are responsible for shipping... and THAT AINT CHEAP. We should all have been in the freight business. I paid with PayPal using the Bill Me Later plan (6 months no interest if paid in full in 6 months) and that went thru without a hitch. I got the SP23-B kit. They are all very similar. Just beware that there are some part numbers out there that are for JUST THE HAND HELD DEVICE ONLY. Those have a very appealing price but you don't get nothing else. I also got the SO01 USB Key and TIS 2000 kit... It allows you to do programming. I am sure that it is for programmable things like calibrating speedos, key fobs and airbag resets ect, not for stuff like an EFI Live would do. FYI the Tech2 was $315 and the USB kit was $22.99. The grand total with freight was $461.99. Yea that's $124 to ship. And that's pretty much what it costs to ship anything over the big pond... either one. Well this all got ordered today 12-23-13 at about 9PM. They say the estimated delivery time is 3-5 days. Well I will take into consideration that it's Christmas time.... but we will see how long it takes. Until then.....

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Sub'd - really interested to see how this goes for you! Hope it works out well! What an awesome Christmas present lol.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Subd, I have been thinking about trying one of the Chinese versions also. Let us know how it works.

·
Registered
433 Posts
A tech 2 is a.........eh, nevermind, it'd prob take me 3 minutes to type it out, and I'm lazy. Someone else can do it.

Reactions: lanced69

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
I hope it works for you. Most people I know that ordered them had them die within a few months. They are total rip off garbage.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
And also if you try and have bosch fix it, they will throw it in the trash. A tech 2 for $300 should be an instant no brainer as to not go near that thing. Considering there $5k+ new.

·
Premium Member
9,817 Posts
Sub'd for results.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DHL tried to deliver the China Tech2 today, but we were at the mall (signature required). I will have to wait for it until Monday. They shipped it out on the 26th and it was here today... that's pretty quick. Oh well until Monday...

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Although my brain tells me to stay away from one of these China tech 2's my finger would still probably buy one. $300 to me is almost worth the gamble. Wish I could find a v2 for 3 hunsky.

·
Premium Member
1,980 Posts
Although my brain tells me to stay away from one of these China tech 2's my finger would still probably buy one. $300 to me is almost worth the gamble. Wish I could find a v2 for 3 hunsky.
Makes you wonder why there isn't a Chinese EFI-Live. It would make a Hong Kong businessman a fortune. Can you imagine $200 a kit and $50 a license?

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
I seen you mentioned programming mileage. you can't do that. Mileage is programmed by companies that build clusters. You can marry modules together ect ect. All my info is based on the Bosch tech 2 equipment. I would be interested in seein if the differences between mine and you'rs as far as capabilities

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Makes you wonder why there isn't a Chinese EFI-Live. It would make a Hong Kong businessman a fortune. Can you imagine $200 a kit and $50 a license?
Hmm..rosetta stone here I come!

·
Premium Member
1,980 Posts
Hmm..rosetta stone here I come!
Blueprint is a blueprint. China replicates modules all day everyday. The genius comes from the tunes that are built. I don't see a reason why a Chinese V2 couldn't be built. Let us know when you make your first business trip to Hong Kong and become a millionaire partner.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I seen you mentioned programming mileage. you can't do that. Mileage is programmed by companies that build clusters. You can marry modules together ect ect. All my info is based on the Bosch tech 2 equipment. I would be interested in seein if the differences between mine and you'rs as far as capabilities

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I stand corrected. What I meant was that you could calibrate the speedo to the actual travel speed to correct for different size tires and or gear ratios. I will edit my 1st post.

I will let all of you know what it will or wont do. And if it pukes and dies I will let you know that too.

Reactions: FC5452

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I'm just guessing, The reason that there is not a Chinese EFI Live, is because the Chinese are not making the thing in the first place. If they ever got their hands on the prints they would be marketing it. Why do you think they are marketing the TECH2? They were subcontracted to make the thing OR the components for it. I can tell you it is NOT because there is a huge market for it. There is not enough profit for them to reverse engineer the thing. They already have the plans and the molds. I go through this with Briggs and Stratton and Harley-Davidson all the time. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 380 Posts