Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Bully Dog outlook monitor and it's time for a change... So here are my questions... Should I go with a 2 or 3 gauge pod? If so what would be the best 3rd gauge after boost and egt? low fuel psi or rail psi? What brand is the best? Really like the cobalts. Do the cobalts come with all the stuff to install or is that stuff sold sep.? and lastly, I know they're cheap, but I have to ask... what about glowshift gauges?

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Fuel pressure.

I run glowshift gauges, theyre decent havent had one issue so far and I actually like how the gauges look. Dont buy the Pods if you buy the gauges from them(Crap). Just depends what you're looking to spend...

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did they come with everything needed to install?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Its a personal thing, but I would never rely on a cheap gauge setup to monitor my engines vital stats. Just call it my old school way of thinking of what, but I go tried and true every time when it comes to gauges. I've always run autometers (can't really go wrong imo) but anything along those lines like isspro, ppe, etc are quality gauges as well. Just a difference between inexpensive and cheap, but I'll sit here and argue that all night long haha.

As far as gauges are concerned you really only need two, a 0-60 boost and 0-20k pyro will get you by for as long as you own the truck. I run these two mechanical and then have an electronic setup for the rest of my stats because I like a cleaner look. But that's just up to you. The cobalts are nice quality for sure, can be a little overbearing if you don't wire a dimmer into them, however this is easy and they are quality gauges.

As far as gauge kits go, I purchased my setup through alligator back in the day and had everything and then some to install with. Just be careful and note that depending on where you purchase your gear from will depend on how long of leads your gauges will come with (alligator has 10' usually, whereas others come with 6' or 8') your mounting location will tell you if this affects you at all however.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies!! Think I'm gonna go with the cobalts... pricey little bastards. haha

·
Doin it...
1,278 Posts
I have had 2 sets of cobalts and never had a problem! I love them and can definetly rely on them.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I think a nice setup would be two autometers then running an aeroforce interceptor gauge with them on the apillar. I have the Sport Comp II's now (pyro/boost) but want to get a triple pod now and add an aeroforce gauge with the black/white display......I think it would match well. I don't think alot of guys run that setup so you don't see too many pics of it.

·
Registered
13,557 Posts
besides the problem i had with a certain vendor (before i was one) and aeroforce themselves i like my aeroforce.

i have boost, egt, and the aeroforce.

works good for me

·
Registered
307 Posts
I like how it can clear codes

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
I just swapped the Bully Dog PMT i was using for gauges for a Edge CTS w/ backup camera.

I love all the info the digital gauges give you over mechanical ones. I have been having to run a mechanical boost gauge due to boosting higher then the factory sensors can read.

I was even able to still usual my dual pod by attaching the CTS to a bullydog t-slot adapter.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm still torn on the 3rd gauge if i go with a triple over the double pod... For some reason I want the rail pressure gauge. I was told my bully dog outlook does not read it accurately and was wondering if the cobalt will? I'm prob gonna do a low side gauge but just have it mounted under the hood

·
Registered
956 Posts
Hey man do what i did, put the two gauge pillar put your boost in one of the holes and keep your bullydog in the other and run your pyros or whatever you want up in the overhead cubby above the mirror

·
Registered
13,557 Posts
I'm still torn on the 3rd gauge if i go with a triple over the double pod... For some reason I want the rail pressure gauge. I was told my bully dog outlook does not read it accurately and was wondering if the cobalt will? I'm prob gonna do a low side gauge but just have it mounted under the hood
they both read from the same sensor

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was wanting to do the overhead thing but my truck has the sunroof so the cubby is small as hell... Can barely fit a stick of gum in it

·
I'm That Guy...
16,690 Posts
Boost, EGT, Drive Pressure, Fuel Pressure (lift pump), or second boost for twins are gauges I'd consider...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts