Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I’m torn between Chrome or black wheels. Lift or leveled. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2003 Red Crew Cab

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,998 Posts
I wouldn't do chrome. Polished, gloss black powder with milled a accents gets my vote. I had the hostile havocs gloss black with milled accents and it looked real good.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I'll probably be the outlier here, but chrome gets my vote. The black wheel fad has passed for me; everyone has them. Plus, I think it would accent your chrome bumper and the red nicely.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll probably be the outlier here, but chrome gets my vote. The black wheel fad has passed for me; everyone has them. Plus, I think it would accent your chrome bumper and the red nicely.

I agree it would compliment the bumper well. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Since you're asking...
Chrome can be gaudy (IMO) so I guess I'll go with the fashionable black.
Too much chrome can be gaudy, yes. Like some of the trucks who look like they robbed the entire chrome plastic department at Walmart and auto zone. The chrome rain guards, fuel cap doors, trim between the windows etc... that is gaudy and tacky. IMO.

That truck would look nice with the color matched red bumpers, chrome strips and wheels.

·
Registered
56 Posts
On a red truck, I'd vote either black/machined or a black/chrome combo (like the Fuel Maverick that's chrome in the center with a black hoop). All chrome is a little much on red, the black/machined or other two tone combo would balance it all nicely.

IF you do go chrome though, I vote for getting some Escalade door handle buckets and painting them red to match. Then the pulls will be chrome and tie in the front/rear bumpers nicely.

·
Registered
178 Posts
When I bought my truck it had black rims with machined accents on it. It looked good but I've always been partial to polished aluminum wheels, it was a hard decision for me but I ended up going back to polished rims, I also striped the paint off the headache rack so it's polished aluminum now as well. Here's a couple pictures to help you decide.

As for lift or leveled, for my money I would just level the truck. I love the 6" lift that's on my truck, but it was like that when I bought it and I'm too cheap to buy a lift for a truck that's supposed to be a tow vehicle.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,998 Posts
When you guys say chrome, do you actually mean polished aluminum? Chrome sucks IMOP

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I'm talking about the rims like @gearjammer posted in post #10. Whatever finish that may be lol.

I had those exact wheels on my first truck when I was 16.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The rims I put on my truck are Raceline Rock Crushers in 17x9, polished aluminum. This is the third set of them I've bought for different trucks over the years. Weld used to make an almost identical rim called the Stone Crusher.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
It is totally what you like for your self. What we want isn't really of any significance. You will find someone who will like or hate what ever you do.

As for my own opinion, I think too much black doesn't work. I like the polished aluminum wheels much better. I also think leveling says you don't really want a truck. You want a car with a big trunk. A truck is high in the rear so that when it has a load in it the truck will not set too tail down. Lifting is for posers. That's how I feel and it means exactly nothing to anyone but me.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Im curious as to why you would ask us...............It is YOUR truck.................and as such we may or may not agree with your choices, but the vast majority here will respect them, even if our personal choices would not be the same.

I won't even tell you my opinion because MY opinion Does NOT matter to anyone but me, and possibly my wife, but that is not always true either.

Reactions: sambor

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Im curious as to why you would ask us...............It is YOUR truck.................and as such we may or may not agree with your choices, but the vast majority here will respect them, even if our personal choices would not be the same.

I won't even tell you my opinion because MY opinion Does NOT matter to anyone but me, and possibly my wife, but that is not always true either.
I get your point … but I always ask my friends for opinions first then I can have other options that I may not have visualized …
but I still make the final decision based on my thoughts ..

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I guess there is some value in asking opinions from others on cosmetics. It would be possible to make a serious mistake and not realize it until after the money was gone. I still say that it comes down to what you like for yourself though. In the end you need to just go where your heart leads.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm old school and like chrome but agree there can be too much. Bumpers and wheels aren't too much. Can also depend on the size and style wheels. 22's that stick out 10 inches from the fender would look awful in chrome. I also like polished aluminum. Most black wheels, to me, don't look good. Black and milled is a step up but only a bit. Thankfully your truck isn't white with everything painted white including the mirrors. Hideous but some like it. Red is classic with chrome wheels. I grew up in the 70's & 80's reading Hot Rod magazine.

Opinions are like fecal orifices: everyone has them.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts