Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some brand new 20" chrome fuel hostages a few weeks ago. Haven't had them on but 2 weeks and there are already stains on the corners! What do you guys put on your chrome wheels as a protective?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
135 Posts
use plasti dip

·
Registered
124 Posts
Be careful using any polishes on chrome plated wheels, it will strip the chrome off and you will see the copper plating start coming through. How do I know this......well I destroyed a set of wheels using chrome/metal polish. Use soap/water and dry with a micro fiber towl to a spot free shine

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been using soap and water. Idk how they are already stained but it pissed me off. I got the turtle wax polish but now you scared me to Use it lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
223 Posts
i use a good wheel cleaner either made for chrome wheels or a ph balanced one. then every winter i clay bar and wax them

·
Registered
16,262 Posts
Wash them using a good car wash soap & add some spray wax to them or use a paste wax.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Use Sonax or P21S wheel cleaner appropriately, then use a good wheel wax to seal them up. Simple as that. :D

·
Registered
923 Posts
I thought i was the only one who knew about Sonax. haha Good to know someone else appreciates German engineering :)

·
Reign in Blood
4,553 Posts
windex works wonders for getting the chrome clean and shiny (need a protectant after though), you can use blue magic metal polish as well. i used it on my polished aluminum wheels and my chrome wheels and never had a problem. plus its cheap lol. the nice thing about it is it leaves a "film" that beads water really well.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I thought i was the only one who knew about Sonax. haha Good to know someone else appreciates German engineering :)
It's some good stuff, for sure.

windex works wonders for getting the chrome clean and shiny (need a protectant after though), you can use blue magic metal polish as well. i used it on my polished aluminum wheels and my chrome wheels and never had a problem. plus its cheap lol. the nice thing about it is it leaves a "film" that beads water really well.
Windex is actually quite acidic, and can, in some cases, harm the wheels.

·
Reign in Blood
4,553 Posts
actually, windex has a pH of between 10 and 11 due to the addition of ammonia, thus making it a base and not acidic. i have heard of it pitting on hot wheels with the windex allowed to dry. if used properly, nothing adverse will happen. :thumbhappen

·
Registered
98 Posts
actually, windex has a pH of between 10 and 11 due to the addition of ammonia, thus making it a base and not acidic.
Yes, you are correct on that one. I misspoke. Anyways, it can be corrosive to wheels. A dedicated pH balanced wheel cleaner is always best.

·
Reign in Blood
4,553 Posts
i ninja edited :D

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
I have a set of ultra makos i bought used (1 yr old) They were in near perfect condition when i got them, i noticed a small bubble in one of them. After having them on the truck last summer and cleaning them reguarly with soap and water and using spray wax on them almost on a weekly basis they still started to pitt by the end of summer. I called Ultra, they told me my best bet is to have them re-chromed by a local "american" shop. Most of the wheel manufacterers of course have their stuff made overseas and their chrome plating process sucks compared to the american process and materials used. But anyways, im going to clean my wheels up real good, wax them with real wax and throw them back on and hope i get another summer out of the before i have to re-chrome them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I use car wash soap and a micro fiber towel to clean my XD chrome Monsters, then I usually apply wheel wax once every few months. The wheel wax/protectant makes it super easy to clean the road grime off and if I dry them with a clean micro fiber towel they have the same mirror finish they did as the day I bought them, and they are 3 years old.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts