Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live on a gravel road and driving down it I will hear a clanking sound as if something is not bolted down tight and the play causes noise. On a smooth road it does not happen. Sound comes from front driver side. Tried taking the wheel off and moving things but its stiff. Turning doesn't seem to have any effect positive or negative. Last time I used 4x4 I was only exercising it and didn't seem to exacerbate the problem.

I've been thinking about replacing the ball joints and the shocks since its getting bout time to... but more curious what might actually fix this.

FYI (its not in my sig)- stock stance (not leveled or jacked). 125k miles. Owned since 89k miles. I have not replaced any suspension parts.

Appreciate any feedback/suggestions/etc.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
let me add this... the noise is not too terribly loud but I swear i can feel it in the steering wheel. I dont believe there is any play in the steering and, again, turning doesnt seem to make it worse or make it go away

·
Registered
156 Posts
brakes?

Fairly common for these trucks' brakes to rattle on rough roadways. The clips/ retainers wear out and allow the pad to rattle in place. Hold your brakes lightly as you drive. If the noise goes away, you've found your issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I live on a gravel road and driving down it I will hear a clanking sound as if something is not bolted down tight and the play causes noise. On a smooth road it does not happen. Sound comes from front driver side. Tried taking the wheel off and moving things but its stiff. Turning doesn't seem to have any effect positive or negative. Last time I used 4x4 I was only exercising it and didn't seem to exacerbate the problem.

I've been thinking about replacing the ball joints and the shocks since its getting bout time to... but more curious what might actually fix this.

FYI (its not in my sig)- stock stance (not leveled or jacked). 125k miles. Owned since 89k miles. I have not replaced any suspension parts.

Appreciate any feedback/suggestions/etc.
I have a 2015 3/4 ton Dodge diesel, I noticed that I have excessive noise not terribly loud but more than you would think on a fairly new truck driving on semi rough roads that would include a parking lot subdivision roads that aren't really smooth I noticed that there is a banging noise or a rattle that you can feel in the steering wheel and you think you hear it on the driver side. Other four forms have discussed that it could very well be the crossmember on the front of the truck some of the guys had said that they tighten them retorqued them and had success with that. I am actually going to try this tomorrow on my truck to see if it makes a difference.

It sounds like the bumper could be loose it sounds like the wheel well liner could be loose and rattling it sounds like the Hub cover could be loose and rattling so all of those sounds to a degree appear it could be the issue, but usually everyone says they have to dig deeper replace their brakes replace their shocks, and the ones that say they got rid of the noise so that they retorqued the crossmember on the front of the truck. Worth a try.

For all of you grammar Warriors sentence structure Warriors and OCD people that are freaking out because of my typing abilities, please don't be concerned I just voice text I don't have the time to hunt and peck on my screen LOL I'd rather drive my truck.,! LOL

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2015 3/4 ton Dodge diesel, I noticed that I have excessive noise not terribly loud but more than you would think on a fairly new truck driving on semi rough roads that would include a parking lot subdivision roads that aren't really smooth I noticed that there is a banging noise or a rattle that you can feel in the steering wheel and you think you hear it on the driver side. Other four forms have discussed that it could very well be the crossmember on the front of the truck some of the guys had said that they tighten them retorqued them and had success with that. I am actually going to try this tomorrow on my truck to see if it makes a difference.

It sounds like the bumper could be loose it sounds like the wheel well liner could be loose and rattling it sounds like the Hub cover could be loose and rattling so all of those sounds to a degree appear it could be the issue, but usually everyone says they have to dig deeper replace their brakes replace their shocks, and the ones that say they got rid of the noise so that they retorqued the crossmember on the front of the truck. Worth a try.

For all of you grammar Warriors sentence structure Warriors and OCD people that are freaking out because of my typing abilities, please don't be concerned I just voice text I don't have the time to hunt and peck on my screen LOL I'd rather drive my truck.,! LOL

Okay now I'm truly embarrassed and I think I will start typing because voice texting somehow said I had a Dodge truck good God in heaven why did it say that LOL it's a 3/4 ton GMC Sierra Denali with a diesel

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fairly common for these trucks' brakes to rattle on rough roadways. The clips/ retainers wear out and allow the pad to rattle in place. Hold your brakes lightly as you drive. If the noise goes away, you've found your issue.
Thanks. i'll give that a shot next time the wheels turn.

Btw, nice ride. big fan of leveled/short lifts with the tires/wheels still somewhat tucked. Growing up on a farm, never understood the purpose of 2 inch sidewall tires on a 3/4ton sticking a foot out regardless of the stance (e.g. the white truck in the header).

·
Registered
156 Posts
Btw, nice ride. big fan of leveled/short lifts with the tires/wheels still somewhat tucked. Growing up on a farm, never understood the purpose of 2 inch sidewall tires on a 3/4ton sticking a foot out regardless of the stance (e.g. the white truck in the header).
Thanks! I live in Colorado so I gotta do my best to keep rocks from destroying my paint!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i tried this in hopes it would eliminate the noise. It did not eliminate the noise. The noise is somewhat deep versus a 'ting' type sound. You might also say it's a clunking sound. Its also not consistent so i dont think its anything with the front drive axle (but cant say with certainty).

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
So i believe i may have identified the issue...

If i grab the middle of my centerlink and the middle of my driver tie rod (the skinny factory piece) and i shake it straight up and down almost like a short-stroke bench press motion 1) there is just an ever so slight play (1/8" to 1/4"?) but 2) it makes noise. If i grab it in similar place on the passenger side i do not get this same movement/sound. Note that not only does the tie rod and centerlink move but the pitman arm and the bolt going into the pitman arm move up and down (ever so slightly, mind you) as well.

Second thing I did was turn the key on and move the steering wheel back and forth. I noticed that i can move the steering wheel a little bit before the wheels start to turn. It too makes a knocking sound. So yea, this sucks.

Where should i start if i dont wanna just throw money at it?

*EDIT: looking at the design/shape of the steering shaft component i'm thinking the steering gear/box is either loose or needs replacing. I cant see how the steering shaft would cause this problem.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Already cleaned up for the evening but am going to try this tomorrow. Considering I can move my centerlink/pitman/gearbox by hand I doubt this will fix the play. Be dumb not to throw a socket on it and torque it to GNT

See post #11 in this thread

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Already cleaned up for the evening but am going to try this tomorrow. Considering I can move my centerlink/pitman/gearbox by hand I doubt this will fix the play. Be dumb not to throw a socket on it and torque it to GNT

See post #11 in this thread
Tried this. They were 18mm. i was able to get a little spin using a 18" breakover but there wasnt enough to cause a noise.

My neighbor came over and he moved the steering wheel while i watched the underside. I could see the steering shaft twist/move without the pitman arm moving. It did make a somewhat clunk noise. He said he wasnt twisting the wheel more than 1" though.

What's y'alls thoughts? Is that too much play, "pfft thats nothing" or "yea, its on its way out but you still got some time"?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
update

After letting my dad take a look we now believe it to be the drivers side inner tie rod but i'm still leery about this diagnosis. I can feel it in the wheel but it doesnt seem to be affected by turning. e.g. when i'm driving down the rock road to my house hitting some minor washboard areas... if i turn it doesnt seem to subside the noise. I expect it to since it would lock up the ball on one side or the other.
Well, these were on my list to replace anyway.

Was actually eyeing rare parts tie rods but ran into the Dmax store HD tie rod set the other day. They are supposed to be beefier than the RP but are 30% cheaper than the RP. Just ordered them tonight so we'll see. Probably overkill for my application but it wouldnt be a first.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It's been a while so maybe you fixed it, or maybe you've been out playing. Last night my neighbor was telling me that his 07 had a clunk when he hit a bump and it was the "intermediate steering shaft". He had it replaced and the clunk went away. Apparently it was a problem on the 07 (or so he was told).

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's been a while so maybe you fixed it, or maybe you've been out playing. Last night my neighbor was telling me that his 07 had a clunk when he hit a bump and it was the "intermediate steering shaft". He had it replaced and the clunk went away. Apparently it was a problem on the 07 (or so he was told).
I haven't fixed it but haven't been driving it either (its not my dd). Been working on wrapping up other projects before i start new ones.

The noise i get is not a traumatic noise, if you will, from hitting large bumps. I can hear it when going down a rock road with a little washboard. the slightest bumps will cause the sound. I'm going to be replacing the Pit, idler, idler support, and tie rods when i get to it. I really dont want to mess with the gear box or the steering shaft but wont have much of a choice if that truly is the source.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I am at 430k on my 06. Done the front end twice now. Gearbox once. I shoe horses for a living and travel mucho ranch roads. Wonderful trucks. Mine is leveled and has one click bigger tires all the way around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
When you undo the pitman bolt, get someone in the truck to turn the wheel while you brace yourself under the truck with a breaker bar...that bolt is on there TIGHT. I became a broom when removing and installing the bolt lol.

Also, be careful when pulling the pitman off the steering gearbox as there is a seal it pretty well sits on. I used a pickle fork to get just enough room to get a puller on it, then used the puller to seperate the pitman from the gear box. Word of advice: get yourself a shorter bolt and put it in opposite. The head of the bolt will do the pushing on the stud to get the pitman off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’m in the process of doing my front end too just got kryptonite uca, pitman idler,cognitions pisk, tie rod, idler, and pitman hopefully it fixes my loose steering. I haven’t had an clunking noises yet. And I hope the sleeves for the tie rods actually help. I have read on here that the intermediate shaft can cause clunking noise and it’s not consistent. There’s also 2 bolts under the plastic cover in your truck on the tilt when you rotate the steering wheel you can see them. They sometimes come loose don’t tighten them a bunch though. Check your ball joints too!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
two have mentioned intermediate steering shaft. However, in looking at the parts, it appears there's an upper and lower. Which one would i need?

Been looking at this one. It appears to be the upper. Although, not sure the difference between that one (000937) and the (000938) but havent read much either.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
1 - 20 of 20 Posts