Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i just wanted to know what would be the best way to clean my engine. i have a 2006 duramax and the engine compartment is just embarassing i have a big pressure washer that gets up to like 500 degrees but it is adjustable. should i soak everything in simple green and then pressure wash it off? or is there stuff i gotta worry about? thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Subscibing because I want to clean my engine compartment also but very nervous about doing so with so many electrical commponets under there.

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
I'd spray with simple green and just rinse with a hose. I'd shy away from the pressure washer. The connectors are weather tight, but mother nature doesn't get up to 5000 psi :rof so you risk getting water in those connectors with a pressure washer.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Subscribing. Mine is filthy as well. I believe there are a few companies out there that make stuff designed to clean it, just not sure of what they are

·
Registered
180 Posts
subscribed

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok good idea i wont use the pressure washer. and from what i have heard the best way is to have the engine cold i need to also know what i have to tape up or cover

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I spray mine with Engine Brite let it soak for a few minutes and spray it off with the hose...no ill effects and it works great...you can get engine brite at any autoparts store

·
Registered
387 Posts
Just cover the alternator and don't spray the shiz out of it or the fuse box. Soak with engine degreaser or spray down with simple green and a pressure washer or at the carwash. Just be smart about it and don't spray anything WAY close. I like to do it before a freeway or highway drive to let it get hot and evaporate/dry.:dangit1

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
I have for many years used solvent, or cheap paint thinner with a siphon spray nozzle. It cuts the oil and grease, does not harm the paint, or get into connectors to make a short. It also drys fast. :D

·
Registered
676 Posts
I have been working on engines a long time and unless you spray directly at the electrical connector, using a preasure washer will not hurt anything. I wash out the alternator, if you do not want water in your alternator do not drive it in the rain. I use "GUNK" citrus cleaner, not the foam, look it over and figure how you are going to get into different areas. I do it with the engine warm, not hot, after you have the engine washed then start it up and spray directly into the AC condenser not at an angle, straight in and slowly spray threw the cores to clean them. Give the alternator a rinse, shut it off and inspect it and redo any missed areas. Works for me!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Don't do it in your driveway or grass!

Engine Brite works real well....you know it is going to as soon as you get a whif of it.
I have only used it on the engine itself. Is it safe to spray on firewall, battery etc? Anyone ever got any on their paint and what was the result?

Simple Green seems like a good alternative if it really works.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I gotta to agree with Johnp33 spraying the electrical connector's is not going to hurt them. I worked at a carlot for two years in high school detailing cars. This is how we would do it. With the engine off spray down the engine conpartment with degreaser. Let it sit for a few minutes then I would spray off the engine with a pressure washer, keeping the nozzle at least a foot away. After I was done sraying the car's engine off I would start the engine and then Spray the engine off with a air hose to get any puddles of water off. I would also used the air hose to spray out electrial connections and the alternator. To get the plastic on the engines to shine like they do when you buy a new car, spray a tire foamer over everything and let it bake in as the engine is warming up. That will give it that nice and shiny look:rof:rof This will make you engine look brand new hope it helps

·
Registered
480 Posts
I also worked in detail in high school. We used to just hose everything under the hood with Castrol Super Clean and hit it with a pressure washer. Worked out well. The only problems we had was on old pickups that would get the distributor wet, pre 87 that is.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I used to detail cars way back when and we would soak the motor in purple power, let it set, and then power wash it. Never hurt any car I washed.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Every time I wash an engine on one of my vehicles, I will usually give it a quick rinse, spray simple green generously all over the engine compartment, let it soak, then rinse.
Always turns out looking awesome.
One of my friends likes to use tire shine on the plastic covers and stuff under the hood and they are always looking brand new.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I used Simple Green automotive cleaner and degreaser mixed 50/50 with water in a pesticide pump sprayer today. Worked great. First time using it, I am impressed how well it works being biodegradable.

·
Banned
24,083 Posts
I always use gunk engine degreaser and it works great on the thick stuff! Just rinse, spray degreaser, let sit, and wash off. Or do the same with simple green. Or both :rolleyes:

Id do it when the engines cool then let it dry in the sun before starting. Id also not use a pressure washer. I cleaned my gasser once and it wouldnt statt afterwards till it dried:eek:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Glad i came across this, I just bought some GUNK Degreaser at the auto parts store and wanted to do a little reading on it before i went ahead and did it, so Tow Master I appreciate the post. I was thinkin i might need to go back and get Simple Green there for a few.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.