Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm prepping the block deck today for new head gaskets. I notice some of the water jackets are pretty clogged and they're all ugly. Can I clean them while I'm here? If so, what's a good method? Right now I'm thinking of using some of those tube brushes.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Is the clog due to rust or just gunk? Best way to clean the jacket is to remove all your plugs etc and get it tanked.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it's orange but that doesn't mean anything since the Dex is orange. It looks more like build up of Dex-cool. At the block deck, a lot of the water ports were partially clogged with a very thin layer of Dex Gunk

I was more thinking about just brushing out those ports

While we're at it, where do those water ports go? I assume into the block where water gathers?...but then where? For instance, let's say that some small bits of gunk fell through the water jacket ports...where will they get picked up?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
448 Posts
Almost sounds like someone has added regular antifreeze with the dex cool antifreeze. This will cause the dex cool to gel

1 - 4 of 4 Posts